Tone difference between 13 ply, 11 ply, and 9 ply birch plywood???

cap'n'crunch

• Members

Just wondering what kind of tone differences there are between these different types of birch plywood. Or is there any at all? Seems kind of logical that the less plys would have less glue and more wood but, all the big $$ cabs advertisements suggest that 13 ply is best..What's up with that?

• Members

you'd be hard pressed to hear it, honestly. i've used all of them-- and they're full of crap. in general-- you want to use plywood with fewer voids-- which typically higher ply woods have less of, because individual plies are thinner. the voids supposedly set up 'resonant modes'.. but honestly, i think it's a pile of horse{censored} with speakers the resolution of which are pretty.. well. they're guitar speakers, and guitar amps. they ALL have odd resonances, and react strangely with the amps. the box IS important-- but i haven't found that it was hugely different between 7 ply and 13 ply birch. the MAIN difference in REALITY is that oft times the more ply-- the more stable the wood is. but i've never run into anything of normal guitar cab size to warp sufficiently to matter.

Archived