HCAF, tell me what you would do in this situation?

mikey383

• Members

I played a gig with my band at the beginning of November. Since then, we haven't practiced and I've barely heard from any of the other guys. The singer and I have tried to arrange practice a few times, but the bassist is always "busy" that day (no job, lives at home). We were practicing at the bassist's house (an hour from mine, just minutes from everyone else), but he suddenly said it's not cool anymore. So I offered my parent's house. It would be a 45 minute drive for everyone.

Singer calls me Monday and confirms today with me (my day off, his day off). Says he'll call the other guys and confirm with them, and let me know where as soon as he finds out. He has no problem driving to my parent's house, but he wanted to check with the other 2 guys before committing to anything.

Don't hear anything from any of them that night, Tuesday, or last night. I figured I would at least have received a phone call from someone, or an email. So I plan on not practicing. 12:30 this morning (while I'm at work...don't get off until 7am), the bassist calls and leaves me a voicemail. Says he talked to the singer, and he (the singer) wants to get together at his house to do a headphone jam (which is unproductive as {censored}...run preamps through a mixer and use electric drums and headphones...:facepalm:) and write.

Would you call back and arrange a practice, or would you just act like you didn't get the message?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I played a gig with my band at the beginning of November. Since then, we haven't practiced and I've barely heard from any of the other guys. The singer and I have tried to arrange practice a few times, but the bassist is always "busy" that day (no job, lives at home). We were practicing at the bassist's house (an hour from mine, just minutes from everyone else), but he suddenly said it's not cool anymore. So I offered my parent's house. It would be a 45 minute drive for everyone.

Singer calls me Monday and confirms today with me (my day off, his day off). Says he'll call the other guys and confirm with them, and let me know where as soon as he finds out. He has no problem driving to my parent's house, but he wanted to check with the other 2 guys before committing to anything.

Don't hear anything from any of them that night, Tuesday, or last night. I figured I would at least have received a phone call from someone, or an email. So I plan on not practicing. 12:30 this morning (while I'm at work...don't get off until 7am), the bassist calls and leaves me a voicemail. Says he talked to the singer, and he (the singer) wants to get together at his house to do a headphone jam (which is unproductive as {censored}...run preamps through a mixer and use electric drums and headphones...
:facepalm:
) and write.

Would you call back and arrange a practice, or would you just act like you didn't get the message?

A. Quit the band

B. Kick the Bass player out. He sounds like an unreliable douche. Come on man you can teach a monkey how to play bass.

C. Quit the band. Sounds like an episode of The OC. {censored} that {censored}.

• Members
Singer sounds like a straight guy, dunno about the other guys.

Sounds like its time to find a new bassist and drummer.
:idk:

The singer is a pretty straight dude. He'll talk to me about issues that he doesn't feel he can talk to the other guys about. Him and I really get along well, and he's a genuinely great guy. He takes interest in what is going on with me outside of the band.

The drummer is the kind of guy that just goes along with whatever. He's pretty laid back, doesn't really care what happens. I don't have his number and I don't think he has mine, so I don't really talk to him outside of practice.

The bass player however, seems to be the problem. Wants it his way, and if he can't have it, it doesn't happen. He told me that the singer couldn't practice one day, 5 minutes after the singer told me he could. This is where I feel the problem is. I think he just didn't want to make the 45 minute drive, so he talked the singer into doing a jam at his place instead. He's made comments before that leave me wondering where his commitment level is.

• Members

They aren't obviously committed to the band thing, or at least to the band thing including you.

On the other hand, you don't seem to be too enthusiastic about the "headphone jam", which seems to be ok for the rest of the band members. Pot, kettle, black.

Just find a new group to play with.

• Members

From my bass player's mouth last night

I {censored}ing :lol:ed.

They definitely aren't the smartest breed. Though most of them I've known have been all about practicing. They were the ones calling saying "when we practicing next...how about today?" Not the case with this guy. I think I figured out why he's not in a signed band anymore.

I think I'm gonna have a talk with the singer and find out just where the commitment level is, and what can be done to solve this issue. Maybe they don't know it's an issue :idk: I'll take the diplomatic route first.

• Members

If they're your friends, then good call but if they're just band mates, then {censored}ing go Ted Nugent on their asses
:mad:

Well, I consider the singer a friend. He told me he considers me one of his best friends once. I talk to him like a friend :idk:

Archived