What effects do you prefer for your lead tones???

guitarbilly74

• Members

For years I've been using the proverbial delay+verb without even giving too much though about it. It always sounded good so why change it. But tonight I was playing with my multi-fx and came up with a dry lead tone with a touch of phaser that is just killer. Very different than my usual tone but still very cool.

So what do you guys normally use on your lead tone, besides the amp gain, boost etc??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a reverb junkie. I bought a delay pedal but hardly use it because I just note like the mush of notes it creates. I'm probably not using it to it's potential but I just prefer the echo of reverb.

Occassionaly chorus but it's more for cleans.

• Members

I feel slightly like I'm cheating for using compression, though my playing is generally pretty well volume balanced, I use compression as a boost, it's usually on for leads, depends what I'm playing though. If I'm playing metal, deffinately, blues, no.

• Members

Barber Tone Press is the best compressor ever. It lets you blend the compressed tone w/ the dry/uncompressed signal and it sounds fantastic.

I'm going to check that out :thu:

FWIW I usually have very small amounts of chorus and short delay. It's barely there but it thickens up the tone IMO. :o

• Members

I was honestly never all that keen on any effects on my lead lines, but I realised they were pretty dry and didn't really fill up much space. I've started using delay now. It works well for me. I've got 3 different delay settings and I pick to suit.

• Members

For years I've been using the proverbial delay+verb without even giving too much though about it. It always sounded good so why change it. But tonight I was playing with my multi-fx and came up with a dry lead tone with a touch of phaser that is just killer. Very different than my usual tone but still very cool.

So what do you guys normally use on your lead tone, besides the amp gain, boost etc??

I don't really know to be honest. Usually I like using chorusing on guitar tones, both clean and heavy rhythm crunch, although I am still refining how to get chorus to work on crunch. But for leads I am not too keen on it, it gets too 80s-sounding.

I'll answer again later.

Archived