OT: What happens to your body when you die with no money?

Travisaurus Rex

• Members

What I mean is, if you have nothing planned out and no money set aside for a funeral, what happens to your body? Do you get billed for a state provided funeral? What if you choose to do nothing and refuse all options? Can they make you pay for a plot,coffin,creamtion etc?

I saw something today that made me think about that. I'm 37, married with a house and kid. This last year kicked my ass financially and I have no more savings. If I or my wife died today, what would I do. If I had no money to pay for a plot, coffin or anything, what happens? How/who takes care of that if you can't pay for it.

Also, how many of you guys have thought ahead about this and made any preperations? I would bet not many.If you did, any pointers on what to do?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I mean is, if you have nothing planned out and no money set aside for a funeral, what happens to your body? Do you get billed for a state provided funeral? What if you choose to do nothing and refuse all options? Can they make you pay for a plot,coffin,creamtion etc?

I saw something today that made me think about that. I'm 37, married with a house and kid. This last year kicked my ass financially and I have no more savings. If I or my wife died today, what would I do. If I had no money to pay for a plot, coffin or anything, what happens? How/who takes care of that if you can't pay for it.

Also, how many of you guys have thought ahead about this and made any preperations? I would bet not many.If you did, any pointers on what to do?

life insurance, man. You need it and you need it now.

• Members

To the OP:

Social Security will give you like 500 bucks for a pine box... But that won't cover any other funeral expenses.

Seriously. Get as much life insurance as you possibly can. You really want a "whole life" policy. It accrues cash value that you can borrow from while you are alive, plus payout when you die (if you haven't borrowed all the cash value). It should be the first investment in your "portfolio".

Otherwise, "term" is kind of a burn, but it's affordable and will cover if you die within the term... If not, you paid for nothing more than piece of mind.

Best of luck and long life to you and your family.

edited for grammar and clarity.

• Members

Well I can tell you since we've just been through this about 10 days ago. Our mother just passed and this is what she wanted and the cost associated...
Cremation was 1,999.00
Urn 450.00

That's it. Sometime over spring wer'e going to reunite both parents, (Dad passed away several years ago), urns together in a burial plot in their hometown, next to our youngest sister. The plot we paid for was 1500.00
I just can't see ourselves displaying two urns on the mantle. Reminds me of "Somthing about Mary"...

She left an insurance policy of 8,000 to cover her expenses. We didn't need any money up front, the funeral home just contacts the insurance to get the policy codes. They get paid in 4-12 weeks directly and any leftover goes back to the family.

I'm not sure how much a full blown service costs, neither parent wanted all that...Our sister had it, but her husband paid for it all with her life insurance...

I guess if you had no money for burial you could donate to science??

• Members

If I had no money to pay for a plot, coffin or anything, what happens? How/who takes care of that if you can't pay for it.

Your body is hauled out into the street, where a slavering pack of insurance salesmen await. They subsequently {censored} your every orifice in front of your family and friends, before raping all your family and friends afterwards with chunks of your rotten flesh still clinging to their members.

This is why life insurance sells.

• Members
It's $2k to have them throw a body in a blast furnace for 10 minutes? Damn.
:eek:
Looks like I'm in the wrong business.

Actually the coffin building business is it. Cremation isn't as popular I suppose, religious beliefs?, but those things weren't cheap. They have this brochure they give you. It's hard to remember exactly but anywhere from 4,000-18,000 for the coffin...

• Members

i am really serious when i tell you that i am really not worried about it at all...lol

i'll end up in one place or another eventually lol

i don't think there's going to be any kind of "consciousness" on the other side, so it doesn't matter.

but to be honest i'd rather be creamated and scattered than stuffed in a box and sunk in a hole lol.

Archived