Mesa vs Marshall vs Peavey cab gut shot pix

JSutter

• Members

Its amazing how much more effort Mesa puts into their cabs. Construction is top notch. Quality is the best I have seen yet.

Unfortunately you cant see it in the pix, but the Mesa is completely sealed. The Peavey and Marshall have a 3" gap of wood missing on the sides where the back screws to. You can see the gap on the XXX cab at the top of the pic.

Some of the not pictured differences:

Jack plate:

Peavey: Plastic, 2 jacks, mono/stereo switch with thick traces.

Marshall: Plastic, 2 jacks, mono/stereo switch with thin traces that lead to failures.

Mesa: Metal, 4 jacks: 1 mono, 2 stereo, 1 out.

Wring:

Peavey: Soldered to PCB, quick connects to speakers, 18 awg wire.

Marshall: All quick connects, 18 awg wire.

Mesa: All soldered, 18 awg wire.

Casters:

Peavey: Not removable

Marshall: Removable with allen wrench, plastic socket/foot.

Mesa: Removable with no tools, rubber feet installed.

Handles:

Peavey: Metal grip, plastic surround

Marshall: Plastic (upgraded to metal in pix because they break)

Mesa: Metal

Funny thing the Mesa is $950 new and a 1960AV is also $950 new. Price on the XXX was $680 IIRC.

Mesa Stiletto Traditional slant:

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

Marshall 1960b straight:

DSC01683.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

Peavey XXX slant:

063.jpg

065.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty cool Pics man.

I agree, the Mesa cab I have has held up really well over the years. I have been considering changing out the V30s for C90s as of late, but for now, I have been really happy with the cab the way it is. :thu:

• Members

Pretty cool Pics man.

I agree, the Mesa cab I have has held up really well over the years. I have been considering changing out the V30s for C90s as of late, but for now, I have been really happy with the cab the way it is.
:thu:

Is you Mark a head or a combo?

• Members

Pretty cool Pics man.

I agree, the Mesa cab I have has held up really well over the years. I have been considering changing out the V30s for C90s as of late, but for now, I have been really happy with the cab the way it is.

Yea when I had a Revtoverb combo it had a C90. Its a more neutral sounding speaker. I liked it in the 3/4 back, but Id love to hear it in a sealed cab. I actually swapped the V30s into the 1960b and put Vet 30s into the Mesa. Im sure Ill catch hell for it but oh well.

• Members

Very nice, Mave.

Looks pretty much like mine, except mine is cleaner inside and has faux gator skin on the outside. Also, Mave's looks dusty. Oh, and it has a port... dunno about Mave's though.

Nope, mine isn't ported. It's an XL model.

I don't know why there's a few dark parts. The light stuff isn't dust though, that's just how it is. :idk:

This bad boy:

UR_RS412XLT.gif

:love:

• Members

Ah. Mine may be ported for all of the {censored}ing low end. I mean, like... Godzilla rumbling down the street.

Anyways, see the beam's base in your picture? How it's that dark solid blackish color? My entire cab guts are like that.

Ah. Keep in mind I used a flash on the camera for that picture, so it is darker inside.

The handles look weird on the Lynch box. :confused:

• Members

No doubt the Mesa cabs have fantastic build quality, I just REALLY prefer the sound of my 1960av with my JVM. The recto cab next to it is decent, but it sounds more boxy
:idk:

Ehh. Aren't the 1960AV's more like the Stiletto's in dimension? If so, comparing the 1960AV to the recto isn't exactly apples to apples and you should know better than that; you're usually an upfront, honest guy with his head on straight.

Mave: They are "love handles". :lol:

And not liking the snot they used to attach the center beam on the Diezel at all. Looks nice otherwise, but it's like wearing a nice shirt, with a big snot rocket all over it. :facepalm:

• Members

Mesa cabs sound godly. My Recto 2x12 sounds far better and "bigger" than the 5150 4x12 I used to own. It's amazing how much difference the construction can make. I believe Peavey cabs have thicker walls than most cabs IIRC, which I think contributes to their dead sound.

• Members

Yea when I had a Revtoverb combo it had a C90. Its a more neutral sounding speaker. I liked it in the 3/4 back, but Id love to hear it in a sealed cab. I actually swapped the V30s into the 1960b and put Vet 30s into the Mesa. Im sure Ill catch hell for it but oh well.

I had 2 C90s in my old Recto cab and didn't really like it with the Dual Recto. It sounded too thin and scooped for me. Maybe I should have tried the X pattern.

154054522aJIhng_fs.jpg

• Members

It's not open inside is it? Or is it like some sort of deep insert? The handles look deep.

545066.jpg

The wood itself has a hole cut out. Then, when they construct it, they put a box on the inside of the cab to seal the hole up and the hole is smaller than the box so there is a lip to grab onto. Make sense?

EDIT: And that pic is {censored}ty. It looks WAYYY sexier in front of you, like most guitar gear. :lol:

EDIT2: Or naked women, for that matter.

• Members

The wood itself has a hole cut out. Then, when they construct it, they put a box on the inside of the cab to seal the hole up and the hole is smaller than the box so there is a lip to grab onto. Make sense?

EDIT: And that pic is {censored}ty. It looks WAYYY sexier in front of you, like most guitar gear.
:lol:

EDIT2: Or naked women, for that matter.

Ahh, makes sense. :thu:

And yeah, gear tends to look better IRL.

Archived