Engl Savage Review

Wizard of Ozz

• Members

I agree with your review of the savage pretty accurate description good job

Which do you prefer for high gain the SE or Savage

Thanks.

I like em both for different reasons. The Savage has more of an old-school Marshall bite to it, it's dryer and tighter... while the SE has the more modern, saturated/gained-out sound, with that massive lowend that really shakes the place. Versatility also goes to the SE.

• Members

Good review! Your descriptions of channel 4 are pretty spot on, and looking at your settings you dial in pretty similar to me! I love all the gain stacking layers, but its easy to over do the gain on this amp.

I agree about the 'smooth' feature....kinda useless for really high gain stuff imo.

There's a few things I'd like to update to this amp...midi ports, as you said, switchable FX loops, easier biasing capabilities (you know what I mean if you've ever had to bias an ENGL!)

• Members

Good review! Your descriptions of channel 4 are pretty spot on, and looking at your settings you dial in pretty similar to me! I love all the gain stacking layers, but its easy to over do the gain on this amp.

I agree about the 'smooth' feature....kinda useless for really high gain stuff imo.

There's a few things I'd like to update to this amp...midi ports, as you said, switchable FX loops, easier biasing capabilities (you know what I mean if you've ever had to bias an ENGL!)

Totally agree on the smooth feature. Seems like a good idea on paper. I had the same experience with the Powerball. Maybe too much of a good thing?

• Members

This whole thing seems {censored}ed, it's just not right to see this from you.

After all the {censored} about engl over the years it doesn't seem right that you own them now. Im just saying it's weird.

Now that I have released my thoughts I wanna say congrats, that mght be the best amp engl makes. I really liked it alot when I had it and I could see myself someday selling my Blackmore and buying one. I think you made a good choice.

• Members

This whole thing seems fucked, it's just not right to see this from you.

After all the shit about engl over the years it doesn't seem right that you own them now. Im just saying it's weird.

Now that I have released my thoughts I wanna say congrats, that mght be the best amp engl makes. I really liked it alot when I had it and I could see myself someday selling my Blackmore and buying one. I think you made a good choice.

Now that I have gained enough technical experience, I'm not too worried. If something goes down, I'll be able to fix it.

:cop:;)

I've never played the Blackmore, but from what everyone that has played both say, its a Blackmore on roids. :idk:

• Members

Thanks Matt!
:wave:

I think you might be surprised by the Savage. It's not as modern sounding as the SE, but it works great for so many other things. Have you tried the Savage yet?

Yeah. I've played one a couple of times. Not really my thing. It's alright I guess, but I like the SE a whole lot more.

• Members

Savage21.jpg

Holy shit, you have your gain turned high! I have the Lead Boost on, with Gain at 6-8, and Lead Gain at 4, and that's plenty for me.

Crunch 2 is great for super-tight rhythms, but I don't really like how artificial harmonics sound on that channel...they just have this really weird quality to them that I don't notice on most other amps. Channel 4 is fucking great, though. I've pretty much never used Channel 2 (Crunch 1) though...

BTW, what speakers are you running through? This amp loves CL80s :thu:

• Members

Holy shit, you have your gain turned high! I have the Lead Boost on, with Gain at 6-8, and Lead Gain at 4, and that's plenty for me.

Crunch 2 is great for super-tight rhythms, but I don't really like how artificial harmonics sound on that channel...they just have this really weird quality to them that I don't notice on most other amps. Channel 4 is fucking great, though. I've pretty much never used Channel 2 (Crunch 1) though...

BTW, what speakers are you running through? This amp loves CL80s
:thu:

I like a lot of gain. :evil:

I've got it going thru a Bogner UberKab 2 V30s + 2GT75s. I'm also going to try it thru a FL Diezel cab with 4 V30s.

Someone mentioned that the gain knobs on crunch 2 & the lead channel are additive? That by increasing the crunch 2 gain, the gain on the lead channel increases. Have you ever heard of that, as it's not mentioned anywhere in the manual.

BTW: How does the Savage sound with the VHT P50E speakers????

• Members

I like a lot of gain.
:evil:

I've got it going thru a Bogner UberKab 2 V30s + 2GT75s. I'm also going to try it thru a FL Diezel cab with 4 V30s.

Someone mentioned that the gain knobs on crunch 2 & the lead channel are additive? That by increasing the crunch 2 gain, the gain on the lead channel increases. Have you ever heard of that, as it's not mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Congrats Wiz. Your review is awesome and pretty much spot on to Chrisjd's and my review of the amp. In fact Chris and Ansley were the ones to sale me on the Savage.

Ch1 & Ch2's gain controls are interactive to each other, such as Ch3 and Ch4 are interactive to each other. You crank Ch 1....continue to add more gain using Ch2. It's a pretty awesome feature if you ask me. So many combinations of different tones.

BTW, the Savage is BEASTLY through the VHT FB cab. The VHT was fairly more thunderous than my Uberkab. Then again, I'm not that big of a fan of Uberkabs.

• Members

I like a lot of gain.
:evil:

It might have been me that you saw mentioning the gain knob thing. Gain definitely affects Lead Gain. I have mine set so that both channels are usable to me. It's not mentioned in the manual, but I discovered it myself when I first got the amp (about 3 years ago).

It's not really bad with the P50Es, but not my favorite...but then again, I haven't spent much time using that combination.

• Members

It might have been me that you saw mentioning the gain knob thing. Gain definitely affects Lead Gain. I have mine set so that both channels are usable to me. It's not mentioned in the manual, but I discovered it myself when I first got the amp (about 3 years ago).

It's not really bad with the P50Es, but not my favorite...but then again, I haven't spent much time using that combination.

Cool. Thanks for the confirmation. I know I read it somewhere, but then I couldn't find anything in the manual. I might bump up my crunch 2 gain and try cutting back on the lead gain then.

:thu:

• Members

I just really haven't found anything better yet. Still searching for the perfect cab.

Mills cab.... just buy one, and thank me later... I've never heard anything like them in my entire life, and I've played all the big name cabs... just for reference mine is V30/K-100 loaded....

Do it...

Archived