Anybody tried Andy Timmons' pickup?

simplestargazer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Before this pickup was released to the public, I called Dimarzio and asked what the closest pickup to it was.

He said it was very close to a Breed Neck.

Installed brred neck in bridge of my Ibanez. Its OK, like a fat Paf Pro. Very generic Tone, like Timmons. Not as much harmonics or growl as a Fred, not as sharp and cutting like a Paf Pro. Its got a good bit of mid honk is the best way to describe it. Not too hot, so its still open-ish sounding.

This was a VERY SHORT love affair with timmons, his playing, and his tone. It was nice to hear another shred voice for about a week, but he's just not all that.

• Members
Installed brred neck in bridge of my Ibanez. Its OK, like a fat Paf Pro. Very generic Tone, like Timmons....This was a VERY SHORT love affair with timmons, his playing, and his tone. It was nice to hear another shred voice for about a week, but he's just not all that.

woooooow :freak:

• Members

C'mon, dont pretend that even good guitarists can pick Timmons tone out of a lineup. He's got a standard, mid-output bucker tone.

And I play ibanez sabres like timmons, his tone is just not happenin. Mid honk with a glassy top.

You're a retard or a troll. No middle ground.

• Members

Word. sabrex, if you're gonna troll at least put some effort into it.

I'm really being honest. No where on the internet is anyone going "I need Timmonz Tone.. . to die for!" He's a refreshing voice compared to the top tier players, but he is not quite at their level.

Basically you can get his tone with the stock bucker in your ibanez and a laney head. Its all about the writing and playing, its not like he's got a signature sound.

His most famous song, electric gypsy, is low/mid gain you can get that tone with any superstrat. Generic tone is generic.

Maybe because I already have a handful of sabres is why it sounds so generic to me. I like the tone, just too much mids and not enough treble.

• Members

No, its basically a Bred Neck. Same specs. The Double Whammy is much hotter.

double whammy = 330 mv alnico V mag 14.7K res.

AT-1 = 320 mv alnico V mag 16.5K res.

breed neck = 325 alnico V mag 10.39K res.

meh, they all look pretty damn close on paper. However, the AT-1 IS closer to the double whammy than the Breed Neck.

• Members

I'm really being honest. No where on the internet is anyone going "I need Timmonz Tone.. . to die for!" He's a refreshing voice compared to the top tier players, but he is not quite at their level.

Basically you can get his tone with the stock bucker in your ibanez and a laney head. Its all about the writing and playing, its not like he's got a signature sound.

His most famous song, electric gypsy, is low/mid gain you can get that tone with any superstrat. Generic tone is generic.

Maybe because I already have a handful of sabres is why it sounds so generic to me. I like the tone, just too much mids and not enough treble.

Hmm, apart from his tone that many consider his signature tone is nothing to do with a Laney. I agree that a lot of it is down to him and his phrasing but you're just being stupid if you don't think it's a signature tone or people want it. I'm sure many would love to have his tone, me included.

And how is he not at the level of the "top tier players"? Because he doesn't wank 20 notes per second at all times?

• Members

Who do you consider top tier players?

• Members

double whammy
= 330 mv alnico V mag 14.7K res.

AT-1
= 320 mv alnico V mag 16.5K res.

breed neck
= 325 alnico V mag 10.39K res.

meh,
they all look pretty damn close on paper
. However, the AT-1 IS closer to the double whammy than the Breed Neck.

I owned the double whammy 15 years ago but dont remember it.

I talked to the guy at dimarzio and he told me the Breed Neck was the closest to the timmons signature that you could get in his guitar. About a year later they released the timmons signature.

If you dont believe me, fine. Call dimarzio.

The Ibanez Quantum pickups do a very passable timmons tone as well. Its not like trying to cop satch tunes where you need a Fred or Joe pickup to get the harmonics.

• Members
Before this pickup was released to the public, I called Dimarzio and asked what the closest pickup to it was.

He said it was very close to a Breed Neck.

Installed brred neck in bridge of my Ibanez. Its OK, like a fat Paf Pro. Very generic Tone, like Timmons. Not as much harmonics or growl as a Fred, not as sharp and cutting like a Paf Pro. Its got a good bit of mid honk is the best way to describe it. Not too hot, so its still open-ish sounding.

This was a VERY SHORT love affair with timmons, his playing, and his tone. It was nice to hear another shred voice for about a week, but he's just not all that.

:facepalm:

A Wood

• Members

^ See that, Sabrex? You just got facepalmed by a top-tier player (talent-wise). I'd say you failed pretty hard.

I'm pretty sure I'm top tier around these parts as well. There is room for everyone's opinion.

I just checked out his stuff. 1995 Called and wants its arpeggios back. j/k. It's really good. Sounds like Dimarzio Evolutions played thru a modeller.

Archived