steven slate drums help...

NinjaRaf

• Members

I have no idea what the fuck I am doing with this program lol. I have kontakt player open, I have a kit loaded onto the rack...but what the hell do I do now? How do I get a drum track out of this? Do I set an input midi file and it converts all of those to the samples loaded in the rack? Super fucking lost. Ive been going through the manual, but havent found much help. Any tips or help you guys could give would be immensely appreciated!! :thu:

• Members

I think what you want is a DAW program (Cubase, Pro-tools yada yada) and then you need to learn how to create midi tracks for original stuff, or you can drop in a loop of a pre-made song into the DAW prgram like stated above. I personally draw my drums in my DAW, although you can use a MIDI keyboard or drum pad.

• Members

Ok sweet. So, I can create a midi drum track in tabit, export it as midi, and then load it into a track in reaper or sonar that has the kontact player loaded? I will give this a shot today. Thanks dudes!!
:thu:

It's just like any other drum vsti, dude. Yes, you can make your midi track in tabit and export it, but all the kit pieces might not match up, in which case you will have to move some around to the appropriate notes (kit pieces), and you will want to edit the velocities of everything afterwards.

Or you could just click out the patterns in Reaper's midi editor itself.

On your track that has SSD loaded, at the top of Reaper go to Insert --> New Midi Item to make a new one or Insert --> Media File... and point to the midi you exported from tabit to import that. Then double click on the midi item to open up the midi editor. It's a piano roll style editor. Either write midi here or edit your imported midi here. The bottom shows the velocities. You will want most of them in the 120-127 range probably. This midi track is just the information that's triggering the samples. You need to make tracks for the output of the different kit pieces and help Kontakt player route to these tracks.

I posted how to do that on the SSD forum before. I'll find and copy and paste my post in a few minutes for you...

• Members

Found it. Here...

"Instructions for anyone with Reaper wondering how to setup the outputs:

First, you have to set up the actual tracks in your DAW by opening up the fx chain/insert list window of your track that you have Kontakt 3 running on, right click on Kontakt 3 and click "Build multichannel routing for output of selected FX..." It will also make a few blank tracks that SSD isn't using. So, just delete those. Now, your tracks are made. You just have to fix the outputs in Kontakt. For some reason all of the kits are routed to a stereo track by default. To fix this, open the outputs tab in Kontakt, and then click Reset Out Map. and then Make Default to save it that way and then close, and everything should now be routed correctly... all pieces outputting on their individual tracks you just previously made."

• Members

So do these grooves need to be put in the reaper plugins file? Sorry for the noobishness here...I am super lost...

The grooves are just midi files. I would ignore them completely if you already write drums in tabit.... except for maybe if you want to see what kind of velocities are used during certain fills or whatever... that could help you set your velocities to make fills sound more realistic...

• Members

Thanks for those tips man. Ive never used any kind of drum VSTi before, so all of this is VERY new to me. My drum tracks have all been just exported midi files from tabit without anything making them better, which is why they suck really bad lol.

The post helps a bit, gets me a little farther, but I have no idea what is what in this keyboard editor or how to set it up so that kontakt is reading certain hits as certain drums...I really appreciate the help though.

• Members

Ok. So say I am using a drum kit that has 14 different instruments loaded (one of the default kits, metalhybrid, in SSD). I load this in the FX window that I have the midi file on. Do I need to have 14 tracks where each track has a different instrument loaded?

I think I am having trouble with the routing part. I cant find the output tab in kontakt to reset the outputs....

If I need 14 tracks in reaper, does each track have to have the midi loaded?

I cant figure out how to use the keyboard editor thingie...

Thanks again dudes. This is harder than getting the ampsim thing working lol, but I eventually got that, so I am pretty sure I can eventually get this.

• Members

Ok. So say I am using a drum kit that has 14 different instruments loaded (one of the default kits, metalhybrid, in SSD). I load this in the FX window that I have the midi file on. Do I need to have 14 tracks where each track has a different instrument loaded?

I think I am having trouble with the routing part. I cant find the output tab in kontakt to reset the outputs....

If I need 14 tracks in reaper, does each track have to have the midi loaded?

I cant figure out how to use the keyboard editor thingie...

Thanks again dudes. This is harder than getting the ampsim thing working lol, but I eventually got that, so I am pretty sure I can eventually get this.

No, there won't be a different track for every piece, they'll be in groups.... kick, snare, toms, hi hats, rest of cymbals, ssd room, nrg room, etc.

When you do what I said, it will make them for you. The output mixer tab in kontakt you're looking for is at the very top next to the folder. It's an icon that looks like 3 faders. And you have midi for the entire kit on just the track that has kontakt/ssd loaded on it. the midi for all instruments will be on that, just outputting the samples to different tracks. The whole point of that is so that you can process different pieces of the kit separately... for example EQing the kick differently from the snare, adding compression or reverb to just one piece, etc....

The keyboard editor is just a midi editor. they've been around forever. just google some tutorials to learn how to use it... it sounds more like you don't really know how to use a DAW in the first place. just look up some tutorial lessons or videos and you'll get the hang of it... i don't want to sit and walk you through every little thing you could look up yourself, but basically, each line across the grid next to a different piano key is a different note. each note represents a midi number (like in tabit where the kicks are 35 or 36 or the snare is 38 or 40, hi hat is 46, etc.) If some cymbals or something is not what they were supposed to be (because tabit general midi mapping and SSD midi mapping aren't 100% the same), you could just highlight all midi for that note and then right click and move it to the note it's supposed to be on. You can look up what the notes are for every piece in the manual

• Members

I'm betting I'm even more of a noob than you are....so you're telling me that I now have to download some other program to make this program work?

I just got it installed and was thumbing through the manual....and was thinking I could just create some beats?!??!? :confused:

• Members

I'm betting I'm even more of a noob than you are....so you're telling me that I now have to download some other program to make this program work?

I just got it installed and was thumbing through the manual....and was thinking I could just create some beats?!??!?
:confused:

:freak:

It's a sampler and samples, dude... you still need a DAW. Just download Reaper and learn how to use it.

• Members

I just got it installed and was thumbing through the manual....and was thinking I could just create some beats?!??!?
:confused:

Yeah, you will have to have a DAW. I thought the same thing you are thinking.

Archived