How do you bias a Peavey 6505 plus?

Thmbs26

• Members

My fellow guitarist has a Peavey 6505 plus with two 6l6 in the middle and two KT66 at the both ends of the power tubes section. Can I just take a multimeter and plug it in through the back and read it off of there? I did that and received a reading of about 56. The guy at eurotubes told him that the back of the amp where you put in the test points are useless and that he would need a bias probe, what ever that means. We're really confused and need your help.

• Members

That will work great. On the 6505 plus you may have to swap a resistor if you cannot get in the range you want.

Actually I would just replace the 12k with a 6.8k while I had the amp opened up.

I am going to go out on a limb and say about that to 99.9% of HC what you just said might as well be Japanese.

• Members

The 6505+ should have an external bias trim pot on top of the chassis. The bias mod that needs to be done to those is changing a resistor to give the pot more range, you won't be able to get a stock one hot enough. The 5150/5150II needs to have a pot added to adjust the bias AFAIK.

• Members

Bias mod is most definitely a plus in my book. The bias points on the back are not completely useless. Setting your meter to DCV, getting a reading of about -45-47 volts evokes the best combination of clarity and crunch, getting you out of crossover distortion range, and it's perfectly within the tubes' plate dissipation safety zone.

Archived