Anyone else use Steam for PC games?

ChihliDog

• Members

And if so, ever have any sound issues with the games? I downloaded Mass Effect a week or 2 ago based on this forum's reccomendation, and I am enjoying the game but the combat sounds cut out a lot, and I cant play like that. Ive noticed sound issues with one other game that I had, which was also a downloaded game (though through D2D, not steam).

Just wondered if I was the only one. My PC is up to the task of running this game so I know it isnt that, and I have browsed their support forums. I cant fix it so I am thinking its because of a hard drive lag issue due to it being D/L'ed. Anyone else ever have this problem?

• Members

This sounds like a hardware issue. If the game is fully installed then there is no reason the sound should be "cutting out" or anything. Sorry I can't help but I would check your soundcard drivers.

Just for {censored}s and giggles what are your PC specs?

• Members

This sounds like a hardware issue. If the game is fully installed then there is no reason the sound should be "cutting out" or anything. Sorry I can't help but I would check your soundcard drivers.

Just for {censored}s and giggles what are your PC specs?

Ive updated them all, sound and video and bios. Specs:

AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+

XFX Radeon 4850

2 gigs Gskill DDR2 800

Win XP home SP3

Im using the onboard realtek HD 8 channel sound.

• Members

Make sure you're updated to the latest 1.02 patch, the PC port is bug-ridden. I bought it a few weeks ago and Steam does NOT update it automatically.

This is good to know. I will have to double check when I get home. Thanks. I assumed steam did indeed update it automatically like it is supposed to.

• Members

I haven't played Mass Effect 2 on PC so it could very well be the PC port is just buggy. Hopefully updating works. Theres no reason for this to be happening. Your rig is fine. You could try a reinstall if all else fails. And then if that doesn't work I'd say it's because the PC version is just buggy.

• Members

and between the {censored} frame rates and the incessant loading, the 360 version is even worse
:(

IMO, the 360 version was better.

ME1 used to crash to desktop a lot of my PC. There it also had saving issues and the dreaded overheating issue where you guns would overheat and never cool down.

• Members

Steam is starting to piss me off. I try to play L4D2 the other day and it doesn't work, i'm now re-downloading it. grr...

This is the first steam game I had a problem with. Deus Ex, Bioshock, Half Life, TONS of demos, all have been fine. But I feel like I wasted money on Mass Effect, it seems like a cool game but without the combat sounds it just isnt any fun.

• Members

This is the first steam game I had a problem with. Deus Ex, Bioshock, Half Life, TONS of demos, all have been fine. But I feel like I wasted money on Mass Effect, it seems like a cool game but without the combat sounds it just isnt any fun.

Only the combat sounds? Other sounds work fine? Maybe a missing sound folder?

• Members

Only the combat sounds? Other sounds work fine? Maybe a missing sound folder?

Everything seems alright, yes. But the combat sounds go in and out. If I, say, pull the pistols and take one shot, it seems alright. If I start firing the machine gun, it might still be OK, but if I fire it too much, or switch too quickly between weapons, or my team is all shoting at once, then I get big problems. I tend to get a "click" when I fire instead of a boom like I know its supposed to.

It would seem like the sounds cant load fast enough but I can run GTA IV, Crysis, and Bioshock with no problems on fairly high settings with my rig, so hardware really shouldnt be the issue, I've got enough power.

• Members

Try turning off the in-game Steam community feature (the one you press Shift-Tab to access while you're playing the game).

From within Steam, go to File -> Settings -> In-game -> Enable Steam Community In-Game (checkbox should be off)

This has stopped all stuttering in Mass Effect for me, and what you describe sounds very familiar to what I was seeing.

The above was from a forum post. Check yours and give it a whack.

• Members

Try turning off the in-game Steam community feature (the one you press Shift-Tab to access while you're playing the game).

From within Steam, go to File -> Settings -> In-game -> Enable Steam Community In-Game (checkbox should be off)

This has stopped all stuttering in Mass Effect for me, and what you describe sounds very familiar to what I was seeing.

The above was from a forum post. Check yours and give it a whack.

Sweet, I will give that a try. Thanks!!!

Archived