To the Guys That Say..."the audience doesn't give a crap about your tone"

PurityS.L.G.

• Members

Why is it that YOU care so much about your tone then?

Why do you spend countless hours, days, weeks, months and years obsessing over gear in search for your ultimate ideal tone?

The crowd doesn't give a {censored} anyways, right?:poke:

Why not just save thousands of dollars, pick up a Line 6 spider, rock out at your gig then look back and smile knowing your rig (minus your guitar) only costed you less than a grand total?

Imagine all that extra time and money you could have. A lot more time to practice.

Hell you could spend all that extra money on much needed lessons if you had to :poke:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think an audience CARES, but I do think an audience can be FOOLED by good tone into thinking you are a good guitar player.

The Edge comes to mind. Non-musicians probably think he's some sort of guitar god because of the sound coming out of his amp. And he's just playing 2 chords back and forth.

• Members

I don't think an audience CARES, but I do think an audience can be FOOLED by good tone into thinking you are a good guitar player.

The Edge comes to mind. Non-musicians probably think he's some sort of guitar god because of the sound coming out of his amp. And he's just playing 2 chords back and forth.

i didnt think anyone but non musicians listened to u2

• Members

I don't care what anyone says about the crowd and how they think...

I remember clearly being younger and putting on metal albums that I hated because the guitars sounded {censored}ty. This was before I even played guitar at all. Seeing bad tone live made it excruciating as well.

Good tone is important and bad tone + production can ruin a great song.

• Members

{censored} the audience, I give a {censored} about my tone, and when it's not right, it can be hard as hell to give your best performance. When the stars align and your tone is RIGHT, the audience WILL care, even if they don't understand why, when your tone pushes and inspires you to play your best.

They'll also care if your tone is too piercing and/or loud/painful to be near!

• Members

I remember a few years back when Fender first came out with the Cyber Twin and Buddy Guy was endorsing it exclusively.

The story goes, people were walking out because "It Just Sounds Bad."

Chick walks up to the bar with a disgusted look on her face and the bartender asks her what's up. And her response was, "I love Buddy, but that just sounds bad..."

• Members

I've changed my view on this. Before I thought people didn't give a damn but I've come to realize that they know decent tone, they just don't know why. True they don't know subtle differences, doesn't matter if its a Bogner or a dialed in PodX3, if it sounds good...then it sounds good.

• Members

{censored} the audience,
I
give a {censored} about my tone, and when it's not right, it can be hard as hell to give your best performance. When the stars align and your tone is RIGHT, the audience WILL care, even if they don't understand
why
, when your tone pushes and inspires you to play your best.

They'll also care if your tone is too piercing and/or loud/painful to be near!

Yep, don't underestimate non-musicians' ears so much. Lots of people that have no musical training have perfect pitch, to think that people can't tell if you sound like {censored} is kidding yourself, IMO. People may not know why a given band sounds better besides good vs. {censored} singing but they will know if it sounds good or not to them. Really harsh piercing tones at high volume levels will cause all but the drunkest/most virginal fans to be heading for the bar or the exit.

• Members

{censored} the audience,
I
give a {censored} about my tone, and when it's not right, it can be hard as hell to give your best performance. When the stars align and your tone is RIGHT, the audience WILL care, even if they don't understand
why
, when your tone pushes and inspires you to play your best.

this goes back to my point of every room being different though. sure, when its on its great, but more often than not its not gonna sound perfect and the 5 minutes to setup isnt enough time to fix it and your gonna have a lot of {censored}ty shows if you arent able to forget about it in my experiences at least

Archived