New speaker smell..... wtf??

-=Pennywise=-

• Members

I installed new speakers into my guitar amp yesterday. two Eminence Legend GB128 speakers. rated at 50 watts, basically a louder greenback clone.

ANYWAY...... within the first hour the speakers were emitting this sweet yet slight burning smell. Is this normal for brand new speakers during the break in period?

The tone of the speakers was actually getting better by the end of the evening's band practice.

• Members

that's just it though, I replaced the speakers in the amp with the same 8 ohm impedance and I didn't even run the amp hard, maybe at 1/4 volume. (master volume was at 4, preamp post was at 5), the wiring is fine, I dunno.... will look into this further tomorrow night at practice.

• Members

update:

Not a single problem at all tonight at practice, the speakers sounded just fine. I even went a little bit louder than normal (master at 6) and no problem. the coil magnets were barely warm after pushing it a bit. Maybe the speakers were stiff being so new? I dunno, the amp hasn't sounded better since owning it as it did tonight, so I'm happy.

Archived