Running amps in stereo (AC-30 content)

emuhunter

• Members

I've been thinking it might be cool to run something in stereo with my AC-30 live, just for {censored}z and giggles.. I don't really think I want to run a clean/dirty setup, more of a stereo thing.

I've noticed a few people I really dig running a Bassman with an AC-30 (Jeff Tweedy for example when I saw him live).

Anyone run an AC-30 and something live? What do they sound like together in general terms?

• Members

Stone Temple Pilots Dean DeLeo is running AC30's in stereo with his Marshall. Mike McCready of Pearl Jam uses a Heritage AC30 with a Bassman for cleans and a Marhsall for gain.

I have changed my second amp a few different times but use an AC30 with a Blues Deluxe quite often. A stereo rig just adds so much dimension to the sound. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford the second amp.

• Members

My rig is an AC30 and Night Train with 1x12 cab. The ac-30 is set a little below breakup so it's quite clean but just a little volume boost away from crunching up nicely in that voxy kinda way.

The Night Train is set with the preamp gain a little higher, so it adds a little chime/hair to the mix, though with no pedals both amps have a kinda similar sound. I split the signal straight away so each amp has different distortion/fuzz/boost pedals going into each one, and my stereo effects are a timefactor and modfactor. I really like the ability to have, say, the ac30 really hit hard with a big muff, while the night train gets an sd-1 so the tone has two layers, a huge wall of fuzz but then also a clearer light overdrive to maintain note definition. I find that with volume boosts, the ac30 quickly becomes louder than the night train, but it can still be heard adding its own thing. Another sound i like is leaving the ac30 clean and dirtying up the night train, or when using really heavy distortion running the delay 100% wet only into the night train. Lots of options, stereo effects, I'm happy with it.

• Members

Anyone run an AC-30 and something live? What do they sound like together in general terms?

I'm planning on doing my next show with my AC30 and a borrowed vintage Super Reverb. I've run them in combination at rehearsals; the Super is very smooth, a lot cleaner than the AC30 in general, and surprisingly bass-heavy. The AC30 is cutting midrange and always a bit gritty.

Together, clean, they are God's Own Clean Tone.

Both are stupid loud.

• Members

I'm planning on doing my next show with my AC30 and a borrowed vintage Super Reverb. I've run them in combination at rehearsals; the Super is very smooth, a lot cleaner than the AC30 in general, and surprisingly bass-heavy. The AC30 is cutting midrange and always a bit gritty.

Together, clean, they are God's Own Clean Tone.

Both are stupid loud.

That sounds REALLY amazing!! How many watts is the Super, just out of curiosity?

• Members

I've been thinking it might be cool to run something in stereo with my AC-30 live, just for {censored}z and giggles.. I don't really think I want to run a clean/dirty setup, more of a stereo thing.

I've noticed a few people I really dig running a Bassman with an AC-30 (Jeff Tweedy for example when I saw him live).

I used to tour with an ac-30 and a 2204 jcm 800 for years. Sounded amazing. I was jealous of myself. That was mostly a/b or all distortion though.

I would think an ac and bassman would be tits for clean/pedals though.

• Members

I'm a singer-songwriter/guitarist... It's hard for me to label it (sorry), but people tell me my stuff sounds like Ryan Adams, current Wilco, or an "updated Tom Petty." So I guess Dad-rock?
:lol:

Well Ryan Adams almost always ran through multiple (as many as 4 Princetons) and Tweedy ussually has 2 amps. Sometimes 2 VOX and Sometimes an Ac30 and a Fender.

It really does a lot for creating a bigger sound. Stereo is the way to go.

• Members

That sounds REALLY amazing!! How many watts is the Super, just out of curiosity?

It's rated at 40, thought what it throws down turned up is anyone's guess. Both it and the AC30 are pretty beastly. Even with our loudass drummer and his loudass kit (OC kit/DW brass snare, Zildjian A Customs and heavy 15" Paiste hats) there's no need to push either of them.

The show's at a smaller venue; our other guitarist's running a Diezel Herbert and we're both friends with the FOH engineer who said "I don't think I'll need to mic you guys" (and he's a fine guitarist in his own right) so it might be my first-ever unmiced gig at a venue bigger than a coffee shop. :lol: And I am okay with that. :D

• Members

Well Ryan Adams almost always ran through multiple (as many as 4 Princetons) and Tweedy ussually has 2 amps. Sometimes 2 VOX and Sometimes an Ac30 and a Fender.

It really does a lot for creating a bigger sound. Stereo is the way to go.

Do you know by chance what kind of Fenders Jeff Tweedy uses? I've seen him with a Bassman but I was wondering if there were others...

Archived