JCM 800 in 20w package

Clinically Deaf

• Members

I absolutely love the tone I get from my cranked JCM 800, but the opportunities where I can do this are becoming more and more infrequent and 50 watts is becoming inpractical. There also seems to be an influx of lower wattage amps on the market such as Jet City, Blackstar and Egnater and I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately I've never played any of them. What amp in a 20w watt package is going to get me as close as possible to the sound I get from my JCM 800. If you guys could help me wade through the market and pinpoint what I should be going after that would be great. Thanks fellas.

• Members

I bought one of those years back hoping to get the jcm 800 sounds in a lower watt package. I don't know if they all sound like the one I had, but it was a horrid pos.

Really? I've heard some good tones from them. The only thing is, it might be out of my price range. I only want to spend what I can get for my JCM 800, and that soldano might be a little pricey.

On another note: If I don't find something I think will come close to the JCM 800 I'm not going to sell it.

• Members

Just keep in mind that alot of those smaller amps use EL84 tubes instead of the EL34s normally put in a Marshall. I know there are a few smaller amps with EL34s though.

Yeah true, but most of the time it's the circuit the tube is in making the tone rather than the tube itself. Soldano made a very british flavored amp using 6L6 tubes in the SLO. While, you're right I'm sure it does come into play a little, just maybe not as much as everyone thinks.

Speaking of Soldano what you guys think of that 20 watt Jet City amp. Just watched a clip on youtube and it sounds very nice!

• Members

Speaking of Soldano what you guys think of that 20 watt Jet City amp. Just watched a clip on youtube and it sounds very nice!

GREAT amp. single channel crunch machine..not a lot of clean headroom, but it does all types of rock VERY nicely, and keeps up with a band..fantastic build quality as well..that amp gets my vote.

• Members

I am with Romanian Reaper on this one, the mojo is from the big power tubes, not the circuit. If you want the balls, you gotta use an amp with balls.

And the SLO does not sound British to me at all. The voicing is there, but 6L6s do not scream Marshall at all to me. And don't get me started with 6550s and all of those.

• Members

I bought one of those years back hoping to get the jcm 800 sounds in a lower watt package. I don't know if they all sound like the one I had, but it was a horrid pos.

haha- i have one and i f-in L:love:VE it- different strokes I guess

• Members

I am with Romanian Reaper on this one, the mojo is from the big power tubes, not the circuit. If you want the balls, you gotta use an amp with balls.

And the SLO does not sound British to me at all. The voicing is there, but 6L6s do not scream Marshall at all to me. And don't get me started with 6550s and all of those.

I guess when I think when I think of 6L6 tone I think of Mesa and in that sense you might say the SLO is British sounding. But that is neither here nor there.

I guess the question now is, what has more mojo a saturated EL84 amp or a non-saturated EL34 amp. Like I said earlier I'm not set on getting rid of my 800, but I do not use it to its full capacity. Just curious, for those with experience, if I'd be gaining anything by getting a lower wattage amp. If not, we'll keep that status quo. Thanks fellas.

• Members

man idk how much you'd really be gaining with a smaller amp- i realize 800s are absurdly loud- but my astroverb can get really damn loud as well- to get any power tube distortion even out of an amp it's size, it will be at a volume where you will disturb other people in the same house/adjacent apartments. At talking volumes, you're basically looking at all preamp work (which is fine- there are many good small amps like blackstar, etc that fit that bill) or going with a 5 watt amp.

• Members

I guess when I think when I think of 6L6 tone I think of Mesa and in that sense you might say the SLO is British sounding. But that is neither here nor there.

I guess the question now is, what has more mojo a saturated EL84 amp or a non-saturated EL34 amp. Like I said earlier I'm not set on getting rid of my 800, but I do not use it to its full capacity. Just curious, for those with experience, if I'd be gaining anything by getting a lower wattage amp. If not, we'll keep that status quo. Thanks fellas.

When I think of EL84 I think of more Voxy chime and an emphasis on a round upper mid. The EL34 has a low mid to mid emphasis that we have all come to love. The 6L6 has massive low end and clear highs.

I personally have not played or heard anything with a proper EL34 grind come from anything other than an EL34 amp. All I can think of is a Hot Plate or something.

Have you played 20 watt amps? They are frigging loud. I think you might be on a mission that many have been on, but none have succeeded.

• Members

When I think of EL84 I think of more Voxy chime and an emphasis on a round upper mid. The EL34 has a low mid to mid emphasis that we have all come to love. The 6L6 has massive low end and clear highs.

I personally have not played or heard anything with a proper EL34 grind come from anything other than an EL34 amp. All I can think of is a Hot Plate or something.

Have you played 20 watt amps? They are frigging loud. I think you might be on a mission that many have been on, but none have succeeded.

I agree with you that those are the characteristic sounds that come to mind when talking about those tubes, however that is only a small part of the equation. And you could be right, maybe I am on a wild goose chase.

• Members

I absolutely love the tone I get from my cranked JCM 800, but the opportunities where I can do this are becoming more and more infrequent and 50 watts is becoming inpractical. There also seems to be an influx of lower wattage amps on the market such as Jet City, Blackstar and Egnater and I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately I've never played any of them. What amp in a 20w watt package is going to get me as close as possible to the sound I get from my JCM 800. If you guys could help me wade through the market and pinpoint what I should be going after that would be great. Thanks fellas.

JCA 20h, schematic and sound wise it's basically a hotrodded JCM 800

Archived