Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MkI - Worth it used?

Stereo Sean

• Members

Okay, so the opportunity presented itself to grab a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MkI for cheap as hell. Like... sub $750 cheap.

Is this amp worth it? I know the MkII is supposed to be the holy grail of tonal versatility, but I haven't really heard anything about the MkI.

On top of that, is this amp worth picking up if it doesn't have the ridiculous footswitch with it? I've looked around the web and finding one seems like it's going to be pretty annoying and time consuming.

Any insight would be rad. Thanks guys! :D

• Members

Well, I'd like to use it live. Currently I'm rocking a JCM900 4100 in 50-watt mode and eight year old tubes that somehow still sound great. Either way, I think it'd be a pretty big step up.

I don't have a midi rig at the moment, but the footswitch is midi-based. The stock footswitch for this amp has six channel selectors and an effects loop toggle. How would I set that up on a midi-controller, and would it work the same?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Update re. the Hughes & Kettner Triamp combo - I took the footboard apart and found the earth and two other wires disconnected. Soldered those up, and the footboard now works as it should. Then I took a close look at the 6L6 valves - one looked suspect. I've replaced it and everything seems to work - for the present anyway. Fingers crossed!

Archived