Can I take 2 power tubes out of my 6505+ to make it quieter?

Jesse G

• Members

I read on a forum that you can take the first and last power tubes out and make it easier to get a cranked sound at a lower volume. But they could have been being sarcastic. :o

I was recording last night and had it on 3 and I got a visit from the police. :eek:

Also, while we're on the subject, how does changing the bias affect the sound? Mine is bias modded and I'd like to play with it.

• Members

No - you will not get a perceptible change in volume. You will go from "{censored}ing loud" with 4 tubes to "{censored}ing loud" with 2 tubes. You may be able to push the power section into overdrive a bit quicker, but that's not really necessary on an amp like that, so much as it is on a NMV amp. Pulling 2 tubes won't really accomplish much. If you do it, be sure and halve the impedance.

• Members

But isn't a 3db reduction like halving the volume?

no. 9db. the 6505 is 120 watts, right? you are going to have to get down around 12 watts to cut it in half. dude, the overdrive is in the pre-amp section. just turn the pre up and keep the post down. its that simple.

• Members

no. 9db. the 6505 is 120 watts, right? you are going to have to get down around 12 watts to cut it in half. dude, the overdrive is in the pre-amp section. just turn the pre up and keep the post down. its that simple.

Yeah, but it sounds grainy until it's turned up to 3 or so which is roaring loud. :cry:

• Members

The 6505+ is adjustable bias, but it's bias range is too small to hurt anything if you crank it. Turn the dial all the way up, it will get a little bit warmer, but you still need a bias mod to get the bias to the "proper" spot.

I think you actually turn the dial counter clockwise.

Archived