Name two amps, one you LOVE and one you thought you'd love....and didn't

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mark V - because it's a {censored}ing Mark V, seriously though, every channel was superb, and one of the best gigging heads around...

Uberschall - overpriced Recto, no doubt in my mind, a one trick pony that doesn't even do it's one trick that great... would take a 5150 any day of the week...

• Members

Budda Superdrive: Seems to excel at everything except for metal(which is fine by me), fits in a band mix better than any amp I've ever played, is lightweight, and doesn't hide mistakes. Forces you to improve your playing.

Bogner Alchemist: Horrible, horrible amp.

• Members

dsl 100-my first all tube amp.did everything i ever needed it to do.

splawn nitro-noisy tube eating POS.was hoping it was going to be like the QR I sold to fund this one but with huge lows....should have got a promod

• Members

Randall RGT100ES - Basically a Marshall Jubliee with 6L6s, a clean clean channel and reverb. :love:

I owned both at the same time. I thought the Randall sounded better. Useable clean and dirty too. :love:

Although, my favorite amp of all time is my GT1. :o

Carvin X100B - In the shop, I thought it sounded awesome. Better then the Randall. Bought it. Got it home and thought the cleans sounded hollow, and the dirt sounded ugly. Sold it, and went back and bought the Randall.

• Members

Loved: my modded Super Reverb RI

I bought the SRRI for $800 off a guy on Craigslist who needed money for bills. I didn't know anything about Super Reverbs other than SRV used them, but I figured the deal was pretty good and it probably had killer cleans and reverb, so I pulled the trigger. Stock the amp sounded excellent -- very clean and sparkley until about 6 or 7 on the volume, but I had wanted to mod this thing a little. Immediately I went looking for upgrades. I put 4 Eminence Ragin Cajun speakers in there and that seriously improved the sound, but I wanted more. So, I had a tech upgrade the output and power transformers to Mercury Magnetics and then upgraded the filter to caps.

Now this amp sounds HUGE. Very responsive/ dynamic. A lot of headroom, but breakup is still possible. Takes pedals extremely well. Isn't picky about the types of pickups used. Sounds as good as the Allen Old Flame and is pretty comparable to a blackface Super Reverb. This is my workhorse and if it ever is stolen, I will definitely replace it/ all of the mods (after beating the thief senseless of course). So, for about the price of a brand new, stock SRRI, I got a killer amp that sounds as good as most boutique Fender styles.

Not so in love with: Peavey Classic 30. It was just muddy and gross. I really wanted to like this amp, but I couldn't.

• Members

Love: My Mark V... It's just a great "go to" amp you can use for just about anything. Does loud or reasonable volume with equal ease.

Hated: Peavey JSX... I bought one and liked it till about 2 days after the return window was up and all the sudden the hishy presence thing you can't dial out and the compression you can't get rid of on the lead channel just pissed me off.

• Members

I enjoyed the original '65 Deluxe Reverb I played a few years ago that had a REALLY old 15" JBL that barely fit in it... sounded like golden lava hot cocoa mix flowing into my soul

Absolutely hated: Marshall JVM--sounded awful to my ears. The gain didn't seem to want to go past 2 o'clock without getting... disgusting.

• Members

Mesa Studio 22 :love: lead tones, but a lil too noisy at high volumes.

Mesa Mark IV :love: Lead tones and good rhythm tones at high volumes(which are not nearly as high as it could go)

Mesa Dual Rec.... compressed tones, lead tones meh, I could get along with it, but the mark IV is much better for me.

Peavey valveking MUDDY!!!

Crate blue Voodoo icepicky clean channel...

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe... cleans good, but I dont use cleans very often. Dirty channel sounded like ass.

• Members

DSL100 - Best modern amp imo. Too bad Marshall had to pull a Gibson and discontinue THEIR HIGHEST SELLING AMP!!!

5150 - eh...

The 900 is their highest selling amp from what I've heard.

Oh yeah...

Soldano HR100+

Basically gets "my" sound without having to fart around for hours turning knobs and putting pedals in the loop etc...

Laney Protube AOR 50

Several people told me how good these were, so I had to have one. It just plain sucked.

• Members

Completely in love with my Goodsell Super 17 Mk II - on/off switch, 3 knobs, tone to die for.

Marshall Class 5 - I just thought that I would like it. I kinda don't even like it. I switched tubes to a Groove Tubes Class 6 EL84-S, an RCA 7025 in V1 and a JAN 12AX7WA in V2. The tube swaps helped, but didn't turn it into an amp that excites me.

Oh, I've never grown very fond of my Dr Z Carmen Ghia. Can't put my finger on exactly why, but my Goodsell has MUCH better clear tone and driven tone too. Just better depth and complexity in my Goodsell.

• Members

Loved - Matchless Chieftian, still am happy every time I turn it on, Victoria Tweed Deluxe was another great one.

Disliked over time - Carr Vincent, too something stiff, weird midrange IDK, I couldn't do it after a while. Tone King Meteor immediate dislike tons of bass harsh highs midrange seemed nonexistent, I sold within a week.

Archived