Anyone enjoy Doyle's guitar playing with 'The Misfits"?

Wicked_Tone

• Members

I love the classic Danzig led Misfits, but I equally love the Michale Graves era Misfits as well. Especially Doyle Von Frankenstein's guitar playing on Famous Monsters and American Psycho. His tone is fat, heavy and crunchy as hell! My favorite kick ass tune showing off Doyles tone for me is the song, 'Descending Angel'. Anyone?

• Members

Nope, I love me some real misfits but the Nufits sound was complete white noise garbage. You probably didn't get to see them live in the old misfits or Graves era stuff. The {censored}er needs a noise suppressor and quick.

Trebley high Lee Jackson high gain with an SD invader P/U = feedback issues. Especially when you can't control the feedback and make it sound cool.

• Members

Nope, I love me some real misfits but the Nufits sound was complete white noise garbage. You probably didn't get to see them live in the old misfits or Graves era stuff. The {censored}er needs a noise suppressor and quick.

Trebley high Lee Jackson high gain with an SD invader P/U = feedback issues. Especially when you can't control the feedback and make it sound cool.

Are you talking about live or album? Doyle has awesome controlled feedback all over American Psycho and Famous Monsters. And I personally love his tone on those albums.

• Members

This.

• Members

I sing "Saturday Night" live with an acoustic.

People dig the vox, and then they start looking at each other when they hear the lyrics.

That's a great tune. My wife loves that song. That is a great tune to play acoustically. I'm actually going to see Michale Graves on his southern acoustic tour later this month. He usually will play that song acoustically.

• Members

Are you talking about live or album? Doyle has awesome controlled feedback all over American Psycho and Famous Monsters. And I personally love his tone on those albums.

I'm saying both. Between Only and Doyle's tones it just sounds like thick amounts of layered {censored}. The only time the Misfits sounded good recently was with them doing the 1950's project....and that didn't have Doyle's over saturated white noise all over the place.

Though I will say the misfits have never had good sounding guitars. About as close as it got to sounding decent was Earth AD.

• Members

Unfortunately I never did get to see either era of the band live. I was born and raised in Northern New Jersey and only the last 10 years have I been living out of state, so you would think that I would have seen them in some way being they are all from the same area. I was about 13 years old when the original Misfits broke up. I did see the Graves lineup in person at a Chiller Theatre Horror Convention in NJ back in like 1995-96.

• Members

Though I will say the misfits have never had good sounding guitars. About as close as it got to sounding decent was Earth AD.

The guitar tones on the Misfits early stuff may not be what I would consider good high gain tone, but it definitely works for the songs. I mean what would songs like Ghouls night out, Horror Hotel or Bullet be without that metallic drone of white noise? It may not be good "traditional tone" but it certainly works and fits the music.

Archived