Fender Supersonic 22 watt now available

tkachuk07

• Members

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Super-Sonic-22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-430759-i1537827.gc

Review swiped from another site:

I beta test for Fender. I had the amp about a year ago.This amp is a game changer. For the money,nothing comes close to what this amp is capable of.

This amp breathes fire. Stellar tube tone, varities of tones, and great spring reverb. IMHO its a Delux reverb with extended capabilities.

I personally like God tone at low volume. I specifically sold my Carr Mercury cause the low volume tones were too weak or too loud and the 1/10th watt was transister radio tin tone too me. Not the Super Sonic 22. Great tone a low volume. And it carries that theme at any volume.

I just read GC's bio on it;really no exaggeration. I can't see any amp at this baby's price point that can compete with this. As far as point to point tone in comparison; this baby has crossed that bridge.

This is an amp that can be your one amp, it will suit all of your needs and situations. With certain pedals and this amps own tone capabilities, again any ground is covered. It gets other popular tones on its own too, not just Fender. A performing, teaching, homebody, type guy can keep this as their only amp. Seriously, nothing compares. And at the end of the day, you have a great amp and quintessential Fender Tube tone as you anchor. All of the testers were blown away and tumbled down the road with this one!

• Members

Review swiped from another site:

I beta test for Fender. I had the amp about a year ago.This amp is a game changer. For the money,nothing comes close to what this amp is capable of.

This amp breathes fire. Stellar tube tone, varities of tones, and great spring reverb. IMHO its a Delux reverb with extended capabilities.

I personally like God tone at low volume. I specifically sold my Carr Mercury cause the low volume tones were too weak or too loud and the 1/10th watt was transister radio tin tone too me. Not the Super Sonic 22. Great tone a low volume. And it carries that theme at any volume.

I just read GC's bio on it;really no exaggeration. I can't see any amp at this baby's price point that can compete with this. As far as point to point tone in comparison; this baby has crossed that bridge.

This is an amp that can be your one amp, it will suit all of your needs and situations. With certain pedals and this amps own tone capabilities, again any ground is covered. It gets other popular tones on its own too, not just Fender. A performing, teaching, homebody, type guy can keep this as their only amp. Seriously, nothing compares. And at the end of the day, you have a great amp and quintessential Fender Tube tone as you anchor. All of the testers were blown away and tumbled down the road with this one!

Meh. They said similar things about the big SuperSonic when it came out, too. Guess what? It pretty much sounded like {censored}. For $1000 you can get a nice SF Deluxe and a couple of dirt pedals and have the real thing. Fender hasn't built an amp that's been worth a damn out of the box in several decades. The Rivera stuff and the early 90's high end stuff might be the last worthwhile amps they've made.

The Vibro-Champ and Super-Champ models are passable, but these big expensive amps have, in my experience, been giant, flaming balls of {censored}. Piss-poor build quality, terrible tubes and speakers, and sharp, brittle voicing.

Do not want.

• Members

Meh. They said similar things about the big SuperSonic when it came out, too. Guess what? It pretty much sounded like {censored}. For $1000 you can get a nice SF Deluxe and a couple of dirt pedals and have the real thing. Fender hasn't built an amp that's been worth a damn out of the box in several decades. The Rivera stuff and the early 90's high end stuff might be the last worthwhile amps they've made.

The Vibro-Champ and Super-Champ models are passable, but these big expensive amps have, in my experience, been giant, flaming balls of {censored}. Piss-poor build quality, terrible tubes and speakers, and sharp, brittle voicing.

Do not want.

whaa? i dunno about you, but i haven't had gigantic issues with the reissues. not that i OWN one-- but i've played the deluxes and twins, and not had issues.

the only issue i had with some of their speakers were v30's (in particular the supersonic). but that'd pretty much explain sharp, brittle voicing in and of itself.

• Members

whaa? i dunno about you, but i haven't had gigantic issues with the reissues. not that i OWN one-- but i've played the deluxes and twins, and not had issues.

the only issue i had with some of their speakers were v30's (in particular the supersonic). but that'd pretty much explain sharp, brittle voicing in and of itself.

Pretty much anything in the DeVille family is not all that good without tube/speaker/input jack/pot upgrades (owned two). The Twin RI I had was a noisy, generally lemon-esque ball of fail, The Super Reverb RI a buddy of mine has needed tube and speaker swaps to even sound similar to a real one. Same thing with the Deluxe Reverb RI. The original Super-Sonic just plain sucks.

If you could buy them for about half of what they cost new and then retrofit them with better components, they can be decent amps. Maybe this new one is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Judging by their track record, however, I wouldn't hold my breath. YMMV.

• Members

Pretty much anything in the DeVille family is not all that good without tube/speaker/input jack/pot upgrades (owned two). The Twin RI I had was a noisy, generally lemon-esque ball of fail, The Super Reverb RI a buddy of mine has needed tube and speaker swaps to even sound similar to a real one. Same thing with the Deluxe Reverb RI. The original Super-Sonic just plain sucks.

If you could buy them for about half of what they cost new and then retrofit them with better components, they can be decent amps. Maybe this new one is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Judging by their track record, however, I wouldn't hold my breath. YMMV.

slowhand0461-albums-banners-picture18285

• Members

22 watt Super Sonic for a grand? {censored} off.

You can get a 2x12 AC30 with Greenbacks for the same money, and considering the AC30 will smoke the bigger Super Sonic...

Seriously, that amp just never did it for me. The cleans were meh, the drive was meh, the combo was only available in 1x12 and the head doesn't have reverb. SO much fail in their marketing department.

I've always loved ~40-50 watt Fender 2x12 combos. Why don't they make these anymore, aside from the Deville?

• Members

Super Sonics are made in the USA. The new AC30 with greenbacks is produced in Asia I believe. Maybe that doesn't matter, but accounts for the price difference.

I thought they were made in Mexico with the rest of the production line amps? Moreso, I thought only Custom Shop amps were still made in the US?

Regardless, the Super Sonic is still a flaming pile of poo at any price.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I thought they were made in Mexico with the rest of the production line amps? Moreso, I thought only Custom Shop amps were still made in the US?

Regardless, the Super Sonic is still a flaming pile of poo at any price.

Couldn't disagree more.

Everytime I play one in the store it impresses. It's first time I've ever heard a Fender do overdrive well, without that bloated metallic sound they usually have.

As far as the RI line, the Twin, the Deluxe and the Super sound great, a bit brighter than the originals but that's why there are tone controls. I've owned all of the blackface amps throughout the Sixties at one time or another and I was really impressed with how close they have come. Build quality is another story, but I'm in the studio so I don't have to worry about lugging them around. Soundwise, they are so close that you'd have to be nuts to pay what the originals are going for now....Princeton Reverbs for 2500....yeah right...

TH

• Members

Don't know what it'd cost me here in Europe, but I'd definately try it out if I were in the marker for a new amp.

I don't agree that it's been several decades since fender has had a new amp that was good straight out of the box...

I own a Fender Tone-Master...And yeah sure it's a matter of taste, but I prefered it to a zillion other amps out there, and I know I'm not alone. Both channels are to die for, and it has some features that are kinda groundbreaking for fender.

And I never played a vibroking myself, but if I'm not mistaking it was also designed by Bruce Zinky, and pretty much all reviews for this amp seem to be VERY positive. There's enough clips and demos around that prove what the amp's capable of.

Archived