Mini-Review of LOPO 2x12 Convertible with G12H30 x Vintage30

firejack018

• Members

I needed a second 2x12 for home use so I could leave my LOPO Signature 2x12 with WGS Veteran 30 x British Lead speakers at the venue where we play. It's a closed back and is very directional, so it didn't sound the best here at home anyway.

I decided to go with an open back for better sound dispersion at home.

I ended up ordering the LOPO Convertible 2x12 so that I have the option to use it as either a closed or semi-open back.

Also, I wanted something smaller so that it wouldn't take up too much space.

It took less than 3 weeks to arrive after placing my order.

Great customer service too.

Kudos to LOPO. :thumbsup:

I'm really digging the Vintage 30 x G12H30 Anniversary mix!

I've used Vintage 30's before, but never mixed with other speakers.

The V30 x G12H30 has tight, chunky bass and nice high-end presence without being shrill.

And the tone is a bit richer in the mids than the WGS speaker mix in my Signature cab.

When I compare the two side-by-side, the WGS speakers sound boxy in comparison.

I'm tempted to grab another V30 and G12H30 Anniversary to replace my WGS speakers.

I've found that I actually prefer the enhanced presence that the Celestions bring to my darkish sounding rig.

But I'm not going to bother, as I know from experience that in a live mix the WGS loaded Signature 2x12 cuts through and sounds great for praise & worship rock music. But if I was going to be playing my instrumental metal with my Signature 2x12, I'd definitely swap the WGS speakers for the V30 x G12H30 mix.

I'm using the new cab with the convertible insert removed to make it a semi-open back.

Now I was expecting an improvement on clean tones, but I wasn't expecting the new cab to be better under high-gain; especially since I'm using it as a semi-open back.

Under high-gain this tiny cab keeps the lows tighter and more focused than the WGS-loaded closed-back Signature cab.

This is most noticeable with my 7-string guitar and detuned Edwards LP guitar.

I was thinking that I'd have to use the new cab as a closed-back to sound better for high-gain.

But it sounds perfect for both applications as a semi-open back at low to moderate volume levels.

Though I expect that if I really want to get the volume up, I'd need to use it as a closed-back.

Here's some pics with my quality control officer inspecting the package on arrival:

LC3.jpg

LC2.jpg

LC6.jpg

LC15b.jpg

LC15c.jpg

LC15.jpg

LC16.jpg

LC16b.jpg

LC16c.jpg

• Members

Man that looks so sexy :love:

I've been wanting to pick up an open back 2x12 to pair with my super directional fatbottom 2x12. I like the convertible idea, and the fact that lopo sells em unloaded. Think I'll end up getting one and slapping some Legends in there :rawk:

• Members

The more I play this cab, the more I'm loving it.

I'm a Celestion man again.

The V30 x G12H in this semi-open cab is just wicked for my setup and preferences.

Can't wait to really crank the volume and see how it sounds at band levels.

V30/H30 is my favorite speaker combo.
:love:

Nice looking cab, and cute kid.
:thu:

It's mine too as of yesterday. :cool:

Thanks mate.

• Members

No man, that's the LOPO Signature 2x12 with WGS's.

It's huge compared to the convertible.

Wow it looks absolutely identical to my Avatar Contemporary. Except it has the two black piping trims around the outside of the cab. I didn't know LOPO did that (unless they didn't show on their website). I wish my Avatar had those two lines, it adds a really nice touch. I too am a sucker for orange tolex.

Well enjoy your new cab! I always wanted that same setup (G12H30/V30 in a 212), but it wouldn't be able to handle my amp, as that setup would only add up to 60watts.

btw, your kid must be really strong, carrying that heavy thing in for you :thu:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

So how does the cab sound in a band mix? I have a semi open back Dr. Z (homemade) and I want to try the G12H 30/V30 mix in it. It's a LARGE cab and sounds great both vertically and horizontally. I play an EVH 5153 50 Watt which is VERY awesome with a resopnsive EQ like non other. My bandmate plays with a Mesa 2x12 with 2 V30's and it sometimes sounds a bit squishy and harsh.

Are you still liking it semi-open back? I hear the V30s can sound too shrill in open backs, but I've not heard about it in semi-open backs with Marshall on steroids-like amps.

Thanks!

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Archived