VOX AC15c1 does it bother anyone that there is no FX loop?

Fendert

• Members

I am thinking about getting one I demoed it for about 30 minutes at the local musicians store here, but was a little put off that there was no effects loop. I'm I being dumb for caring about that?

my chain consists of TU-3-> dirt->dirt-> M9

and I usually run the m9 in the FX loop

Will I miss it too much?

• Members

I thought of that too since I have a G System, but the tones on that amp...
:love:

Yeah for real! I honestly loved the normal Channel the most! master all the way up normal volume at about noon. aghh I was loving it!

• Members

Yeah for real! I honestly loved the normal Channel the most! master all the way up normal volume at about noon. aghh I was loving it!

Yeah with a humbucker, your definitely in the breakup zone there! But the pick dynamics are absolutely awesome there though :thu::love:

• Members

The normal channel on the AC15C1 is pretty close to being an effect loop return.. just keep the normal volume lower.
:idk:

so then would in be like Tu-3->dirt->dirt->top boost

L>M9-> normal channel

use a (Y) cable going out of my dirt in to the top boost and then M9? :idk:

• Members

Sounds good to me :idk:

Although - for the top boost channel - you might find that you need a specific EQing for your dirt pedals to work in the top boost. To completely solve that, do the cap mod. Just find the 120p capacitor and desolder/clip it. (should be the ONLY 100-120p cap in there)

• Members

I've never needed an FX loop.
:idk:

Seems that my best amps (pure tone wise) have none.

The newest AC15s I've heard demos of sound fantastic alone. Also contrary to popular belief, good amps sound great with pedals in front.

In many cases with headlining acts, there is a mixture of in front and after mic effects going on. The AC-15 is one of the iconic amps of all time.

• Members

Also, this is probably one of the best combinations you could ever make:

676702.jpg

EDIT: Its mostly about the pickups and the combination / phasing switches..

Esplained here: http://www.brianmaycentral.net/phasing.html

Bridge and Middle pickups in phase

This is Brian's favourite pickup combination, which he uses 85% of the time. For chords and rhythm work this combination can give that lovely full ringing tone, but still maintains good separation between notes so it doesn't turn muddy. A good example of this tone are the riffs on Hammer to Fall and Tie Your Mother Down. This setting is also good for lead work and was used by Brian for the opening solo in Brighton Rock.

Neck and Middle pickups out of phase

This is a real 'screaming' lead tone, which is piercing at high volumes. Brian used this tone extensively on songs where he wanted a really emotional cutting solo, such as Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody to Love and The March of the Black Queen.

• Members

The AC15 is not a high gain amp.

The relevance of an FX Loop for it is limited.

It seems like you're getting a lot of the dirt from your pedals anyway.

The Edge uses a {censored} load of FX in front of his AC30 and it doesn't appear to have hindered him a whole lot.

• Members

An effects loop on a high gain amp is necessary because you need to drop modulation and delays in after the pre-amp (gain stage). This is not true on a clean or relatively clean amp like the AC15. Effects in front of the amp work very well.

• Members

It always bothers me when an amp has no FX loop ... but as others have mentioned, if you're getting most of your dirt from pedals, no bigs.

And if you're pushing an AC15 to get it dirty, then most of your overdrive happens in the PI and the power amp, so no loop will help here.

Archived