Marshall Class 5? Around the house amp.

Mr R Gecko

• Members

Anyone here got one? Played one? Any opinions on it?

I'm looking for a small amp to have around the house and it seems quite cool for the money. For the same kinda cash, I could get a Spider Valve 2x12 I guess and have fx built in but they seemed to get very mixed reviews...

Thoughts?

• Members

I'm looking for a small amp to have around the house and it seems quite cool for the money. For the same kinda cash, I could get a Spider Valve 2x12 I guess and have fx built in but they seemed to get very mixed reviews...

Thoughts?

I use a Marshall Class 5, and it is killer in the sense that it has a traditional Marshall tone at only 5 watts. The headphone out feature is cool as well. You have options as I actually powered a 4/12 speaker cab with this little guy and it ruled. In comparison to the Spider, well there really is no comparison, as they are two separate animals. The Spider has modeling and built in effects for versatility, but the Class 5 is a real British built Marshall.

• Members

IT has no Master Volume, yet bizarrely a headphone out. This is kind of {censored}ty since I don't like using headphones. They should have just put a Master volume on it. I might have been interested then. $400 for proper Marshall tone.

• Members

IT has no Master Volume, yet bizarrely a headphone out. This is kind of {censored}ty since I don't like using headphones. They should have just put a Master volume on it. I might have been interested then. $400 for proper Marshall tone.

I think the point of the amp is to have a classic Marshall non-master volume amp with low power.

• Members

Thoughts?

They're loud. Bloody murder babykicking loud. So loud, in fact, that they're in immense backorder at Marshall due to reengineering them. They were vibrating themselves apart.

Get a new one, and the issue's fixed. You're safe. Sounds like an older JCM in a little box.

Did I mention how loud they were?

• Members

I think the point of the amp is to have a classic Marshall non-master volume amp with low power.

Yeah, but 5W is still very loud for a tube amp. The 18w Marshalls are plenty popular, and this won't even be half as loud as that, not close.

It's silly since it has a headphone out anyway. That probably has a similar effect to the master volume anyway. There could have even just been a switch to disconnect the power tubes and go straight to the speaker, I think a lot of people mod it like that.

• Members

They're loud. Bloody murder babykicking loud. So loud, in fact, that they're in immense backorder at Marshall due to reengineering them. They were vibrating themselves apart.

Get a new one, and the issue's fixed. You're safe. Sounds like an older JCM in a little box.

Did I mention how loud they were?

Loud enough to play with a drummer or do a small room (as in 25 person capacity) gig with a drummer?

Archived