Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

BEST LOW WATTS TUBE AMP WITH AN EFFECTS LOOP?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST LOW WATTS TUBE AMP WITH AN EFFECTS LOOP?

I have a VOX AC15c1 amp, 2 months old. Nice amp but no effects loop. Would like to try a delay and various other pedals in a loop instead of in front of the amp. Which amp would you recommend. What pedals are good in front of the amp? Which are better in a loop. Are all effects loops created equally? Thanks!
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>GOOD</b> People to deal with : PunkKitty, LostGoonie,Cratz2,Albala, Ball&amp;Chain,</div>

I have a VOX AC15c1 amp, 2 months old. Nice amp but no effects loop. Would like to try a delay and various other pedals in a loop instead of in front of the amp. Which amp would you recommend. What pedals are good in front of the amp? Which are better in a loop. Are all effects loops created equally? Thanks!

What style?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.hothotrobot.com" target="_blank"><font size="5"><b>Hot Hot Robot</b></font></a> - <font size="4">New EP coming soon!</font><br />
    <br />
    7/9 - <font size="4"><a href="http://chicago.metromix.com/bars-and-clubs/venue/the-ace-bar-lincoln-park/2497582/content" target="_blank">Ace Bar,</a></font> Chicago IL<br />
    8/18 - <font size="4"><a href="http://explorechicago.org/city/en/millennium.html" target="_blank">Millennium Park,</a></font> Chicago IL<br />
    <br />
    <font size="1"><br />
    From experience, I know Thunderbroom, thinkpad20, &amp; <a href="http://www.valvequeen.com" target="_blank">phatgirl</a> to be highly competent businesspeople of integrity.</font></div>

Comment

Partially depends what your definition of low watts is.

The first amps with loops that come to mind:

Egnater Rebel 20 (variable wattage, max 20watts)
      Egnater Tweaker (15 watts, I am thinking of picking one up myself)
      Budda Superdrive II SD18 (18 watts)
      Genz Benz Black Pearl (7.5, 15, 30 watt switchable, avail 1x12 or 2x12, I have the 2x12)

General rules(more like guidelines):

• Overdrives and distortions go in front of the amp
      • Modulation and time based effects (delay, reverb, etc.) go in the loop
      All loops aren't created equally but I will let someone with more experience chime in on that factor.

I soooo wish the my Vox Night Train had a loop.
      Guitars:Fender 50th Anniv. USA Ultra - Rickenbacker 360 - Gibson LP Trad. Mahogany Satin - PRS Std 22 - '13 Gibson SG Std - Fender MIM Strat (VG20 p'ups) - '78 Guild D40
      Heads: Mesa Dual Rec (Rev. F) - Soldano Astroverb - Marshall JVM205 Combos:Swart AST - '75 Fender Vibro Champ

Comment

Slow down there cowboy. Sounds like you want the abridged encyclopedia answer to everything.

There are two types of fx loops. Serial and Parallel. Then there are bells and whistles like hard-bypass, tube-buffered, send-return levels, line level switchable -10/+4

These are some of the low watt amps with loops:

Blackstar HT-5 (5W)
        Blackstar HT-20 (20W)
        Bugera V22 (22W, 12")
        Budda Superdrive 18 (18W, 12

Comment

The Egnater Rebel 20 (20W) and Egnater Tweaker (15W) sound interesting. I may try to add an effects loop to my vox ac15c1. I am a newby to effects loops so all your help is appreciated.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>GOOD</b> People to deal with : PunkKitty, LostGoonie,Cratz2,Albala, Ball&amp;Chain,</div>

Comment

My first bit of advice would be to have someone else add that effects loop.

Comment

Advice taken, thanks!

Comment

Blackstar HT-5
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Guitars:<br />
                - ESP Original Forest GT<br />
                - Edwards E-LP-98LTS<br />
                - LTD M-1000<br />
                - Seagull S6<br />
                <br />
                Amp:<br />
                - Mesa/Boogie Mark IV<br />
                <br />
                Effects:<br />
                - Maxon OD808<br />
                - MXR Smart gate<br />
                - MXR Carbon copy<br />
                - TC Electronic Hall of Fame<br />
                - TC Electronic Polytune</div>

Comment

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by having a loop? Are you doing this out of necessity or because you read it on the internet?

Personally I find effects loops on low watt amps retarded. If you're going to saturate the power section, which after all is the point of a low watt amp, that occurs after the loop anyway so all you're going to gain is a tiny extra bit of clarity out of that delay, and with an AC15 that's pretty much minute.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right"><a href="http://www.billowsdoom.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">There is no order in the world, save what death has put there.</a><br />
                  <br />
                  <a href="http://www.facebook.com/billowsdoom" target="_blank">Billows</a><br />
                  <font face="Courier New">Fender::Matamp::Acoustic</font></div></div>

Comment

AC15 only has 1 or 2 gain stages anyway. Why do you need a loop?

Run any distortion/OD/fuzz boxes first, and your delay pedal last in the chain going in to the input of the AC15.

You certainly won't gain much from having an effects loop installed. I hated the loop on my AC30. These types of amps just don't have a reason for an effects loop, since you're skipping so very little in the preamp.

Comment

The Egnater Rebel 20 (20W) and Egnater Tweaker (15W) sound interesting. I may try to add an effects loop to my vox ac15c1. I am a newby to effects loops so all your help is appreciated.

Egnater Tweaker has problems with it's effects loop. My Boss DD-7 worked fine but then I bought a Hardwire RV-7 and it hummed like crazy, unusable. People over on The Gear Page have written about their problems, and Egnater say they are workling on a fix.

It's a moot point for me because I returned the amp, just wasn't doing it for me.

Comment

Egnater Tweaker has problems with it's effects loop. My Boss DD-7 worked fine but then I bought a Hardwire RV-7 and it hummed like crazy, unusable. People over on The Gear Page have written about their problems, and Egnater say they are workling on a fix.

It's a moot point for me because I returned the amp, just wasn't doing it for me.

I don't get it with my Digitech delay... maybe I'm not turning it up loud enough?
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="3"><i>Failure is always an option.</i></font><br />
                        <br />
                        <b>Guitars</b>: <br />
                        1986 Ovation Celebrity A/E 1994 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Studio, 2008 3 color sunburst American Standard Stratocaster, Kramer Imperial, 2010 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, 2011 Godin Redline HB<br />
                        <br />
                        <b>Amp</b>: Egnater Tweaker with Marshall 1965 cab.<br />
                        <br />
                        <b>Effects</b>: Line 6 Pod XT Live w/all model upgrades. Pigtronix Disnortion and Philosopher's Tone. Digitech X series DigiDelay, Crybaby Wah, Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, Rocktron Silencer, Ibanez AP7 Analog Phaser</div>

Comment

Word on the Egnater Rebel 20. Pretty versatile and loud. The only problem is it is only available in a head, not a combo.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">Phil at Fat Tone<br />
                          <a href="http://www.fattoneguitars.com" target="_blank">www.fattoneguitars.com</a><br />
                          <a href="http://youphonic.com" target="_blank">www.youphonic.com</a></div>

Comment

Working...
                          X