Jet City JCA-100H VS. Soldano SLO-100

ourdarkestdays

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh i was worried the way you first responded made me feel like you thought I didnt know what I was talking about or something. But moving on what are your thoughts. Oh and i apoligize i was misled

:cool:

I have an SLO but no experience with the any Jet City stuff. I'd love the A/B them.

• Members

Op calm down man, not everything is meant to be offensive
:lol:

The voicing is similar, attribute that to the preamp circuit similarities.

Yea you know its weird i just started using HC again the other day and like all the posts were all people like bashing eachother. I guess im just being overprtective. But anyway on with the amps.

• Members
Yea thats what im saying, put em side by side see different qualities between flagship amps. But i think we already know which one takes the cake hahaha.

I always hold reservation until I get my hands on the amp. That said, I'm not a big fan of camcorder micing with lots of room Youtube audio... which a lot seem to be.

• Members

The difference lies in the components and transformers. The SLO has Deyoung transformers that are exclusive to the SLO. The Avenger, Hot Rod, and JCA100 all use different transformers, and I believe the transformers also differ from model to model with Avengers and Hot Rods, depending on the date of manufacture. In other words, not all Avengers have the same transformers, and neither do all Hot Rods. Other than that, the lead channel circuit is supposed to be the same, with the exception of certain options such as the depth mod, and presence control, which may or may not be present depending on which amp it is you're talking about.

By the way, I'd love to see a blind 4 way shoot out between the amps. I think that would put to rest all the speculation.

• Members
The difference lies in the components and transformers. The SLO has Deyoung transformers that are exclusive to the SLO. The Avenger, Hot Rod, and JCA100 all use different transformers, and I believe the transformers also differ from model to model with Avengers and Hot Rods, depending on the date of manufacture. In other words, not all Avengers have the same transformers, and neither do all Hot Rods. Other than that, the lead channel circuit is supposed to be the same, with the exception of certain options such as the depth mod, and presence control, which may or may not be present depending on which amp it is you're talking about.

By the way, I'd love to see a blind 4 way shoot out between the amps. I think that would put to rest all the speculation.

I thought the SLO had Onetics trannies?:cop:

• Members

From Doug,

yeah, I can't speak much about the Peavey amps (though I do respect them greatly) but I can validate the JCA theory here. Soldano put two preamps in the SLO100 - a "crunch" and an "overdrive". Those two same preamps also are used in the HR100, which has different transformers, and a bit less handwiring assembly (both are PCB based). Our JCA100H is very much the same as the HR100, built in China and thereforeand even different transformer set. So, the preamps in all three amps I mention here are the same.

• Members

This is correct. The JCA100 is really close to the HR100, it sounds almost identical IMHO. But it's no SLO.

This. The Jet City guys will tell you straight up that the JCA100H is based off the Hot Rod 100. The JCA100 is more identical to the Hot Rod 100 than the Yamaha T-100 is to the SLO, FWIW.

• Members

:idk:
I never tried that amp. The JCA is the Hot Rod, like 90% there (100% in a band mix) If you had the chance to try a HR and a SL60 you can probably do this comparison yourself.

Interesting. I think I remember FastRedPonyCar saying the JCA100H totally lost it's coolness at stage volumes. I don't want to misrepresent his opinion or start a war or anything, but I'm interested in the conflicting views. Is it possible JC's consistency isn't totally dependable?

I mean, I've heard from some that these amps are awesome enough to hang with the big dogs, and I've heard from others that you're only getting what you pay for with these... :confused:

• Members

:idk:
I never tried that amp. The JCA is the Hot Rod, like 90% there (100% in a band mix) If you had the chance to try a HR and a SL60 you can probably do this comparison yourself.

I would venture to say it's closer than 90%, I've spent quite a bit of time with a hot rod in the past and recently I was able to try the jet city and damn it sounds identical to me. I think the depth mod on the JCA will really show us how close they are since a lot of hot rods have the xl or depth mod.

• Members

Interesting. I think I remember FastRedPonyCar saying the JCA100H totally lost it's coolness at stage volumes. I don't want to misrepresent his opinion or start a war or anything, but I'm interested in the conflicting views. Is it possible JC's consistency isn't totally dependable?

I mean, I've heard from some that these amps are awesome enough to hang with the big dogs, and I've heard from others that you're only getting what you pay for with these...
:confused:

I play with a drummer with a monster kit with a 28" bass drum. Trust me, if this amp did not sound GREAT at really high volumes I would not be using it. My band is really loud and the JCA100 just excels at those volumes.

I am not sure about consistency, as I only tried one so far, I'm getting another one tomorrow so I will comment on that. But that alone should say something about the amp right there.

Archived