So, a buddy of mine is still using the same 2 picks for over 20 years!

DARKMETL/

• Members

I started being friends with him probably around the late 80's, lost contact with him around the early/mid 90's and just recently came back to play with the same band he was playing with when I first met him over 20 years ago.

We were talking about stuff last night and he tells me he's been using the same exact guitar picks from when I first met him and that he used them even before that. Not the same kind, but the SAME EXACT picks. They are some weird stainless steel picks. I know they don't wear down so they should be fine but how do you not lose 2 picks in over 20 years????

Strange. Anyone else in the same situation?

• Members

I still have one pick that I've had since '96. It's in a small plastic case I have picks in so I do use it sometimes, its curved to my fingers just right. I'd get more of that kind but the writings been worn off for so long I don't remember what kind it is.

• Members

I bought a dozen dunlop picks (the thickest ones) about 12 years ago. I've lost 3 of them. I only have 9 left. I've never replaced them. I just take an emery board and clean up the rough edges now and then. :thu:

Frugal I know. If I could recondition tubes and strings believe me I would.

• Members

I got some old ones still kicking around. Like this one from 1997 that got the edge singed when this one amp damn near electrocuted me. Fun times. I was 17, playing a friends dads old no-name 1x12 tube combo from like 1966. It had an "Earth" switch on the back, which at that time, I didn't know was the british term for "ground"....so I left it off.....in a semi damp garage.....barefoot). :lol:

I still got some picks I actually use that are well over 5 years old. I tend to pic with the pick slightly turned with the broader edge hitting the strings (weird, and it's something I just started doing subconsciously over the years...no wonder I can't {censored}ing sweep), so I don't grind them down so fast.

Also, out of my 5-6 guitars I tend to change strings on them once or twice a year, cuz I actually like when that initial brightness wears off...gives a darker, fuller tone.

Y'know...in retrospect, I have some pretty weird habits and preferences. :eek:

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I have had some picks for a long time, but these are the only 2 he uses and during the mid/late 90's his band played like a 26 state rotation. He has played ALOT of gigs and still uses these same damn things. I could see having a pile of picks for years but to do the amount of playing around the country and not lose 2 picks is weird. Plus he had like 40 guitars and I could easily see losing one of those things in one of those cases at some point.

• Members

I have quite a few picks that I've been using for around 10 years. Most of them are purple Dunlop Tortex, and I'm guessing I have around a dozen or so in total that get used on a regular basis. When they start to get too rounded off, I just sand the edges so that the point is actually pointy. I imagine they are somewhat smaller now, than they were when I got them.

Archived