Should I chuck my effects and go multi?

satannica

• Members

So, I'm looking at a bunch of effects that are a mixture of I really want or I wouldn't mind getting. However, I'm just wondering if I wouldn't be better off getting a multi box and hocking all my present stuff on the ebay.

I have:

Boss Tremolo

Boss Tuner

MXR Phase 100

MXR KFK 10-band

Digitech Digidelay

I want to get:

Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress

Chorus

A Decent Wah (Bad Horsie?)

Something I can do swells on, maybe a DD7 or L6 Delay Modeller?

A nice tubescreamer

I'm not into booteek stuff, I don't see the sense in spending the money. I run a Peavey 6505 II and love it. I don't really know what I'm after from effects - mainly I want a boost for the Peavey, loved my old electric mistress so want another one, wah definitely need...

Should I buy the extra effects I want, or hock what I presently have on the bay and buy something like an RP1000 or a Boss GT10?

Opinions: Go!!!

• Members

Unless you are really hurting for cash, I'd suggest to keep what you got and get the Multi-fx. Try it for a while and if you like it then sell your pedals.

I have had good experiences with multi-fx through the loop of a few amps for clean effects only, with all the amp models, gain pedals and compressor bypassed.

• Members

i have boss gt-8 and im selling it. its nice, but im going either rack or floor pedals. its too much for me. plus im moving away from typical effects to looping.

ive moved from that to using two loopers and acoustic sim pedal. id like to add an H2O pedal but im waiting for the right deal on craigslist. im using a RC-20XL before the input for clean looping. im using a RC-2 in effects loop for my hi-gain loops.

• Members

I have the RP1000. The amp models are great. The effects vary from really good (chorus, delay, reverb) to so-so (distortion/OD stomps, harmonizer).

I use only one effect at a time...maybe two. If you have an amp in which you like its tone, you might look at individual pedals which are designed to do its thing the best.

I'm heading back to pedals after using the RP for a year (I will still use it for certain PITA gigs where I don't want to take good gear or a lot of gear). I have a Rivera amp and am now starting a collection of pedals....mainly boutique.

If you're going to go the MFX route, I know a lot of guys are very happy with the sound of the Line 6 M9 or M13.

The bottom line is if you like the quality of effects that are in the MFX units. IMO, no manufacturer excels at all the effects.

• Members

what i like about the boss gt-8/10 is the COSM modelling. hi-gain modelling sucks, but for vintage amps and clean its not bad at all.

its just too much for me, id rather have a stomp box and turn a few knobs. though the nice part is you can program many different configurations of effects and amp models. for me i just don't that much versatility. all i need is a good clean and 5150 hi-gain. and lots of loops.

• Members

The bottom line is if you like the quality of effects that are in the MFX units. IMO, no manufacturer excels at all the effects.

+1

on the gt-8 some things are great. other things are so so. there are trippy and really exotic effects like auto riffing, wave synth, sitar simulator etc that are interesting and fun to mess with. but i prefer some good pedals when it comes to my normal tone.

• Members

Some things, like a good wah pedal, you just don't get from a multi.
They're good for chorus and delay and stuff though. And you can have
patches for different songs so you don't need to tweak the delay settings
or whatever between songs. A wah into a multi wouldn't take too much
floorspace, and definitely use the distortion from your amp.

• Members

It really depends on your music.

For example....in many of my bands...I have different delays...from short 1-off to long 3-4 repeats to ping pong...and with different volumes too. Very hard to do with one dealy or even a dual/two delay pedals. Sometimes I have a delay/chorus clean, and want to go to reverb.shortdelay hi-gain....again this can be difficult to do, even with a nice pedal switcher.

If you don't do these kinds of multi-switching...stick with your customized pedal board. Multi-FX are great for convenience and integrated FX...some even have VERY passable amp tones (Tonelab SE does a lot of thing acceptably, if not overhwlemingly superduper awesome)...if adeptly tweaked and the right amp setup. But individual pedals are generally more powerful and of course handpicked.

Edit: Of the two M-FX you mentioned...I use the RP1000. Easier to use...better amp sounds (makes a good amp backup, nice for practice)....switches are better (stompbox style). GT would get the edge in some effects categories.....but overall....digitech gets you a lot of bang for the buck.

• Members

I'm looking more and more at the M13... looks like an ideal solution. I don't need amp modelling as the peavey does a good job.

Those are pretty bad ass looking. I was thinking on grabbing one and running it direct into a Tube Poweramp....why the {censored} not right? Cover all the basses.

• Members

I'm looking more and more at the M13... looks like an ideal solution. I don't need amp modelling as the peavey does a good job.

I run an M13 with my Mark IV and it sounds amazing. The overdrives/distortion are surprisingly nice and all the other effects are really top notch too.

• Members

I've had big clunky pedal boards and rack mount multi-effects... I liked the pedal board the best.

I never really use the multi-effects units to their potential. I think you'd have to be in a cover band that plays a lot of different kinds of music with wildly different tones to make effective use of the multi.

• Members

The M13 is the one I would reccomend if youre going to ditch your pedals. They sound great and they have a TON of sounds in them. If you dont want them to , they dont color your sound at all. They are a great unit for sure

Archived