Orange Thunder 30

nighthawk15

• Members

Anybody had a chance to try one out yet? Just heard about this amp yesterday but it sounds interesting. Not quite sure if I'm interested in buying one yet though seeing as the only EQ on the "dirty" channel is a "shape" knob just like the Tiny terror, which is one of the few things I kinda don't care for on my TT:freak: Why the bloody hell would you put separate bass and treble on the clean channel and not the dirty? It does, however seem like it may be capable of more tones than a TT or dual terror and do heavier stuff better. Plus it has an fx loop. Supposedly its replacing the rocker 30....not sure that's a good thing. Pardon my rambling. Just wondering some thoughts on this. I suppose I'll have to call up my local orange dealer tomorrow and see if they have one I can try out.

• Members
Oh I didn't know it was EL84s
:facepalm:
The control layout is what I was after haha, funny though.

Yeah, it really has much more in common with the Dual Terror, although I don't know if they're voiced the same...they're made in the same factory :lol:

The Thunder 30 will be the only non-terror series amp that is completely MIC.

• Members

why Orange amps so 'spensive tho?

Because they're worth it.

Actually, I bought a used (but like new) condish RV50 for $1499. And when I say "like new" I mean the thing was mint and had maybe 4 hours of playtime on it before I bought it. WORTH........EVERY......PENNY!

• Members

Because they're worth it.

Actually, I bought a used (but like new) condish RV50 for $1499. And when I say "like new" I mean the thing was mint and had maybe 4 hours of playtime on it before I bought it. WORTH........EVERY......PENNY!

This.

Except different numbers.

And a Rocker 30.

• Members

So.....I went to try it out today through an Orange 4X12 cab, and lets just say I'm in love. For those on the fence I highly recommend trying one for yourself. The youtube vids don't sound right at all (like with any amp, but I really noticed it a lot with this one). My TT head will likely be going up for sale this winter to help fund one. I wanted to try a rocker 30 as well but they didn't have one around.

What shocked me was how good it sounded at bedroom volume even using the full 30 watts. It sounded better cranked, but at full power it still sounds better than my tiny terror does on the seven watt setting playing at bedroom volume. Also, apparently there is an extra switch on the back that lets you drop it all the way to 7 watts.

As far as versatility goes, I suppose it depends on what you're after, but I tried everything from playing clean all the way up to modern metal (don't go all metal elitist on me, by modern metal I don't mean super extreme omgworshipthedevilkillcowsandskull{censored}ababy black metal) and it did them all well IMO. The metal part might be a bit extra subjective though because I tend to favor classic thrash type of tones, even for more modern genres. Didn't have a chance to try it with a boost, but with a clean boost or OD I could imagine this thing about taking your head off compared to any other oranges I've heard (everything but the thunderverb series.) In short, granted I'm not overly picky about cleans and even when I do play clean throw just a tiny amount of dirt on it, but I thought the clean channel sounded beautiful and the dirty channel has sort of a hairier version of the classic Orange roar. still wish it had a real EQ, but a pedal can mostly fix that if I feel the need to. Really with this amp I don't feel so much of a need for it, because unlike my tiny terror, It didn't mud up with humbucker guitars. I got about everything I was looking for on the dirty channel with that one knob for the most part.

Do I think this should replace the rocker? I don't think so. I haven't had a chance to play through a rocker, but I've heard them and they do sound more vintage, which I do like for some things but I think I'd rather have the extra hair provided by the Thunder 30 since I play mostly hard rock/punk rock/metal. That said, the classic tones I got out of the Thunder 30 were pretty good I thought.

God I have a rambling problem. Hopefully somebody can pull something useful out of that.

Archived