TUSQ XL Nuts...

colejustesen

• Members

So I have replaced my nuts on two of my guitars with Graph Tech's TUSQ XL nuts. All I can say is that this is a great, inexpensive upgrade one can do to their guitar. I love how the tones really ring out (in comparison to a plastic nut) and how much easier it is to tune without the worry of your strings binding in the nut recesses.

Anybody else love TUSQ XL nuts?

Cole

• Members

I've got a XL blank that I have not used yet, good to know it sounds nice.
:thu:

I am really surprised how easy it was to install (precut and grooved) and most so the results. I will have these on all my guitars from now on...it makes me wonder how good their saddles for TOM bridges are?

Cole

• Members

I am really surprised how easy it was to install (precut and grooved) and most so the results. I will have these on all my guitars from now on...it makes me wonder how good their saddles for TOM bridges are?

Cole

I wouldn't go as far to replace anything metal on the guitar with tusq. I've also never had problems with any TOM saddles that warranted switching materials.

• Members

I wouldn't go as far to replace anything metal on the guitar with tusq. I've also never had problems with any TOM saddles that warranted switching materials.

I can attest to the fact that it sounds smoother. TOM replacement saddles cost more than tusq ones, so it was a no-brainer. I know smoother isn't necessarily better, but they don't hang up and if you've ever had any issues with burrs breaking strings or skin, that will be alleviated.

Were your stock nuts glued in? I bought 3 pre-cut ones for 3 gibsons and I'm wondering what I'm about to get myself into.

• Members

I got mine's last week. The cheap plastic nut broke on my SX GG1 JRS (LP Jr copy). Acoustically I can hear the difference. I am going to replace most of my guitars with these, although I wanna try the Earvana as well.

Cole

I'm curious about this too. I might give it a try for this SX as well. I got paid today, so I'll be ordering it and I'll keep you posted.

• Members

I can attest to the fact that it sounds smoother. TOM replacement saddles cost more than tusq ones, so it was a no-brainer. I know smoother isn't necessarily better, but they don't hang up and if you've ever had any issues with burrs breaking strings or skin, that will be alleviated.

Were your stock nuts glued in? I bought 3 pre-cut ones for 3 gibsons and I'm wondering what I'm about to get myself into.

They were glued in...a little scouring with a razor blade and a slight tap it comes right out. I had to do some light sanding on the nut slot to remove excess glue with a thin file and I was all set.

I really dig them, they do smooth out the sound which I really dig on my guitars. I don't like too much edge with my guitar sound, as I really like the bluesy type of rock tone.

Cole

• Members

They were glued in...a little scouring with a razor blade and a slight tap it comes right out. I had to do some light sanding on the nut slot to remove excess glue with a thin file and I was all set.

I really dig them, they do smooth out the sound which I really dig on my guitars. I don't like too much edge with my guitar sound, as I really like the bluesy type of rock tone.

Cole

Sweet. I'll be trying this once I get a new pickup for my SG and do an overhaul. I have 2 SGs and a LP to do this to. I think they were only 7 bucks from Stewmac.

• Members

I got mine's last week. The cheap plastic nut broke on my SX GG1 JRS (LP Jr copy). Acoustically I can hear the difference. I am going to replace most of my guitars with these, although I wanna try the Earvana as well.

I'm curious about this too. I might give it a try for this SX as well. I got paid today, so I'll be ordering it and I'll keep you posted.

I had an Earvana on a LTD Deluxe guitar that I had. It was pretty good, but the design was mostly for compensating for the intonation on the guitar. It works, but you still need to have a properly setup guitar for it to really work. They have a lubrication in the system like the TUSQ XL. I definitely like it better than the cheap plastic nuts that come stock on most import guitars. I imagine both the Earvana and the TUSQ XL would be great investments.

Cole

• Members

Sweet. I'll be trying this once I get a new pickup for my SG and do an overhaul. I have 2 SGs and a LP to do this to. I think they were only 7 bucks from Stewmac.

Did you get the regular TUSQ nuts? The price of the TUSQ XL are around $12....if you got the TUSQ XL for $7 I will be jealous.

The TUSQ XL are Teflon impregnated to help prevent any binding with the strings...which leads to more stabilized tuning, plus the material is consistent so it allows for better string vibration. I really dig the TUSQ XL nuts!

Cole

• Members

I played a Strat with a roller nut and it was pretty damn good too...though I like the sound of the TUSQ XL better....

Cole

Rollers are cool, lsr anyway, but you have to re-route the neck for them. The graph tech nut is so easy to install, and works almost as well. Opens the doors for just about anyone with a Strat who has the DIY bug.

• Members

Rollers are cool, lsr anyway, but you have to re-route the neck for them. The graph tech nut is so easy to install, and works almost as well. Opens the doors for just about anyone with a Strat who has the DIY bug.

That DIY bug bites me in everything I get into....my latest interest in road bicycling....since I have upgraded my brakes and adjusted my d

• Members

I have the Tusq XL's in all 3 of my PRS SE's.

Major improvement over the stock nuts.
:thu:

Good to hear some more TUSQ XL love.....what I love even more is how great the customer service is. I ordered a nut and it was the wrong one for my guitar, found out via email correspondence, the one I needed actually cost more. They were gracious enough to not charge me the extra and updated my order so that I would receive the correct nut.

The staff is great, the nuts are great, equals out to a great overall experience. Thanks GraphTech :thu:

Cole

Archived