X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUSQ XL Nuts...

So I have replaced my nuts on two of my guitars with Graph Tech's TUSQ XL nuts. All I can say is that this is a great, inexpensive upgrade one can do to their guitar. I love how the tones really ring out (in comparison to a plastic nut) and how much easier it is to tune without the worry of your strings binding in the nut recesses.

Anybody else love TUSQ XL nuts?

Cole
    Amps
    Marshall JCM900 2500 MkIII
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    TRM Guitarcabs Wide Ported 1x12 (Fane Medusa 150)

Pedals
    Korg Pitchblack+
    Ibanez Weeping Demon Jr.
    Pro Tone Thruster
    Monte Allums GT Mod SD-1
    ISP Decimator (Loop)
    MXR 6 Band EQ (Loop)
    Hermida Reverb (Loop)
    Visual Sound V3 Single Tap Delay (Loop)
    Carl Martin Octaswitch
    Powered by Voodoo Labs & T-Rex

I've got a XL blank that I have not used yet, good to know it sounds nice.
    HD Kemper Demo Videos for your brain!

PRS SE Baritone FS - $525 with PRS gig bag

Originally Posted by Billyblades

I am anarchy ! You sir, are an ****************************!

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

All that said, I'm still a jackass.

Originally Posted by ComOp

The first rule of HCAF is that you ****************ing die in a fire.

Originally Posted by Nerine 8/2/2011

Not a ****************ing chance. Seriously. Sig it bishes

Musics: http://soundcloud.com/valtiel

Good deals with: Killing Nevada, Weathered, sam adams, JohnathanD, missingastring, thefyn, Killzone, LoopQuantum, MR MARCUS

Comment

I've got a XL blank that I have not used yet, good to know it sounds nice.

I am really surprised how easy it was to install (precut and grooved) and most so the results. I will have these on all my guitars from now on...it makes me wonder how good their saddles for TOM bridges are?

Cole
      Amps
      Egnater Tweaker 15

Pedals
      Korg Pitchblack+
      Ibanez Weeping Demon Jr.
      Pro Tone Thruster
      Monte Allums GT Mod SD-1
      ISP Decimator (Loop)
      MXR 6 Band EQ (Loop)
      Hermida Reverb (Loop)
      Carl Martin Octaswitch
      Powered by Voodoo Labs & T-Rex

Comment

I am really surprised how easy it was to install (precut and grooved) and most so the results. I will have these on all my guitars from now on...it makes me wonder how good their saddles for TOM bridges are?

Cole

I wouldn't go as far to replace anything metal on the guitar with tusq. I've also never had problems with any TOM saddles that warranted switching materials.
        HD Kemper Demo Videos for your brain!

PRS SE Baritone FS - $525 with PRS gig bag

Originally Posted by Billyblades

I am anarchy ! You sir, are an ****************************!

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

All that said, I'm still a jackass.

Originally Posted by ComOp

The first rule of HCAF is that you ****************ing die in a fire.

Originally Posted by Nerine 8/2/2011

Not a ****************ing chance. Seriously. Sig it bishes

Musics: http://soundcloud.com/valtiel

Good deals with: Killing Nevada, Weathered, sam adams, JohnathanD, missingastring, thefyn, Killzone, LoopQuantum, MR MARCUS

Comment

I wouldn't go as far to replace anything metal on the guitar with tusq. I've also never had problems with any TOM saddles that warranted switching materials.

I can attest to the fact that it sounds smoother. TOM replacement saddles cost more than tusq ones, so it was a no-brainer. I know smoother isn't necessarily better, but they don't hang up and if you've ever had any issues with burrs breaking strings or skin, that will be alleviated.

Were your stock nuts glued in? I bought 3 pre-cut ones for 3 gibsons and I'm wondering what I'm about to get myself into.

Comment

I got mine's last week. The cheap plastic nut broke on my SX GG1 JRS (LP Jr copy). Acoustically I can hear the difference. I am going to replace most of my guitars with these, although I wanna try the Earvana as well.

Cole

I'm curious about this too. I might give it a try for this SX as well. I got paid today, so I'll be ordering it and I'll keep you posted.
            Find me and the rest of the guise here: www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

tusq xl is the greatest thing to happen for the stratocaster with a trem since Leo invented that guitar.

Comment

tusq xl is the greatest thing to happen for the stratocaster with a trem since Leo invented that guitar.

I have some graphtech on my G&L too and it works ****************ing well. It's better than any strat I've touched too.

Comment

I can attest to the fact that it sounds smoother. TOM replacement saddles cost more than tusq ones, so it was a no-brainer. I know smoother isn't necessarily better, but they don't hang up and if you've ever had any issues with burrs breaking strings or skin, that will be alleviated.

Were your stock nuts glued in? I bought 3 pre-cut ones for 3 gibsons and I'm wondering what I'm about to get myself into.

They were glued in...a little scouring with a razor blade and a slight tap it comes right out. I had to do some light sanding on the nut slot to remove excess glue with a thin file and I was all set.

I really dig them, they do smooth out the sound which I really dig on my guitars. I don't like too much edge with my guitar sound, as I really like the bluesy type of rock tone.

Cole
                  Amps
                  Egnater Tweaker 15

Pedals
                  Korg Pitchblack+
                  Ibanez Weeping Demon Jr.
                  Pro Tone Thruster
                  Monte Allums GT Mod SD-1
                  ISP Decimator (Loop)
                  MXR 6 Band EQ (Loop)
                  Hermida Reverb (Loop)
                  Carl Martin Octaswitch