Re-tubing my Rivera

RipVanWinkle7

• Members

Hey guys, I just recently bought a used Rivera Knucklehead KR55 top with the Headmaster (running that into a custom 2x12 with a v30 and a WGS Reaper 50) and am looking to experiment with the pre-amp tubes. It currently has the stock tubes (2 Sovtek 12AX7 LP's in V3 and V5, 3 Sovtek 12AX7 WA's in V1, V2, and V4, and 2 Sveltana EL34's). Here's a copy of the description of each pre-amp slot from the manual:

V1 Input buffer and tone control driver for Channel 1, and also the first Preamp stage of Channel 2 and Channel 3

V2 Tone control follower for Channel 1 and an additional gain stage for Channel 2 and Channel 3.

V3 Third gain stage for Channel 1 and final gain stage for Channel 2

V4 Final gain stage for Channel 3 and mixer for both channels

V5 Phase inverter driver tube for the power amp section

I play Worship music and Death Metal :p, so I am definitely taking advantage of the versatility of this amp. I'm boosting the front end with a TS9 (a Hardwire DL-8 Delay, Holy Grail Reverb, and Behringer EQ-700 EQ pedal when I play Worship music).

I am pretty happy with the tone I am getting now, I am, however, looking for more definition/harmonics on Channel 3 and maybe a little less bass on Channel 1 and 3, I am having to use the FX loop trick in order to tame the power-amp for volume, this thing is ridiculously loud.

What tubes would you recommemend?

• Members

Would you recommend Tung-Sols in ALL of the pre-amp slots?

And also, the WGS (Warehouse Guitar Speaker) Reaper 50 I have is a clone of of the Celestion G12H30 Anniversary, would I maybe want to purchase the WGS ET-65 (clone of the Celestion G12-65) or the WGS HM-75 (clone of the Celestion G12T-75) maybe to help? Or maybe swapping out the v30?

Archived