VFE Pedals -- holy carp! :o

draelyc

• Members

Just got my Pale Horse od in the mail today... Now, I've only had about a half an hour to check it out, but so far the potential has me pretty stoked. At this point, all I will say is this: this is the first or pedal I've ever plugged into that has me *seriously* considering running my amps clean and using a pedal for my primary gain source.

I just a/b'd running into my Maz dialed in for clean against the Maz alone dialed for crunch, and I swear the tone was all but identical either way. If I hadn't just heard it, I wouldn't have thought it possible. :eek:

We'll see how it goes with more extensive playing, but first impression is that this is one helluva pedal. Major kudos to Peter at VFE. :thu:

/Csb

P.S. The customer service has been superb, as well, fwiw. :thu:

• Members

Not James Peters... Peter is this guy's first name:

www.vfepedals.com

I had already gotten the Blueprint delay, which is digital, but with all the controls can be dialed in to sound fairly similar to my Carbon Copy, but man, the Pale Horse really just blew me away on first playing it.

Hope it'll still be that amazing by the time I get to plug back in tonight...

• Members

Nice!

Glad to see you're as happy with VFE as I am.
:thu:

I think I'm gonna snag a Rocket EQ to use as a solo boost, add some level and put a bump in the mids and I think it'll be killer for that.
:rawk:

Been thinking about the boost thing ... If I do end up using the Pale Horse for my gain, I'd need some kind of boost or something for my quasi-pseudo-metal tones. Since I've never run a clean-amp rig, I'm not sure whether I should boost the Pale Horse, use a separate high-gain pedal, or what... :idk:

Either way, :thu:LARGE:thu: thanx to you, K-Bizz, for turning me on to this company. I can't wait to get the tremolo that's on order (but I'll have to, for about a month... :cry: )

• Members

Pedals into a clean amp always ends up being my favorite way to go

It's uncharted territory for me, but if I can get "my tone" that way, it sure would be a more practical setup... At the very least, it's cool to see how the "other half" lives. :D

• Members

seriously great service.

I asked him if he could mod my fiery red horse muff from triangle specs to civil war specs. He said it would be easier to build a new one. so, guess what. He's building me a custom Civil War Muff, and just trading it for the Fiery Red horse. Dude is a class act.

BTW, the Fiery Red Horse sounded great, but I just prefer Russian flavoured muffs.

• Members

Oh my GAWD, I love this pedal!!! :o:love:

Just gave it another run... this thing is so amp-like -- it really doesn't feel like I've got a pedal in between the guitar and amp. Tried boosting the Pale Horse with my Keeley SD-1 -- convincing faux-metal tones. :o

Still stoked... :D

• Members

Btw, this pedal is uber tweakable. Thus, it is definitely possible to get bad sounds out of it. For instance, I had to turn the bass-cut up pretty high to tame the wooly low end. (Of course, fuzz lovers would probably dig said wooly low end, so there ya go...)

I have yet to try it with the amps cranked up for any serious volume, so that may change my impressions as well, but so far, so good! :thu:

• Members

so when you bid on his stuff on ebay, you're just bidding for the spot and he builds what you want from there? I dont get his auctions. You see a pedal in the picutre and it says choose from 12 different things or whatever.

I'm pretty sure the ebay items are already built.

when I bought my fiery red horse from his site, the ebay auction reflected the inventory available.

Peter is a class act.

He TOTALLY went over the top out of his way to help me.:love::love:

• Members

Okay, so it was stupid easy to dial in a great sound running the pedal as a distortion into a clean amp. It's proving a bit more challenging to set the thing up the way I initially intended, to add transparent gain to an already-overdriven amp.

Part of the problem may be that the Pale Horse is *so* transparent, and my ears are more accustomed to a TS style mid-hump/bass-cut type effect. :idk: I did manage to get it dialed in last night such that kicking on the pedal made it sound like I'd just turned up the gain on the amp... In other words, I'm getting exactly what I asked for, but I'll just have to get used to a pedal that really doesn't color he amp's tone. :o

• Members

Peter is a class act.

He TOTALLY went over the top out of his way to help me.
:love:
:love:

This was my experience as well sir, glad to see this wasn't exclusive to me. :thu:

I've been coming up with a pretty ridiculous custom solo boost pedal the past couple days, I think I'm gonna email him about it soon. (basically a rocket EQ + pale horse with input and outputs for both to run the rocket in loop and pale horse out front but only using one footswitch to kick them on).

• Members

This was my experience as well sir, glad to see this wasn't exclusive to me.
:thu:

I've been coming up with a pretty ridiculous custom solo boost pedal the past couple days, I think I'm gonna email him about it soon. (basically a rocket EQ + pale horse with input and outputs for both to run the rocket in loop and pale horse out front but only using one footswitch to kick them on).

Ditto for the customer service in my case, as well.

That idea sounds pretty cool, K-B. I've been wondering what the Rocket booster would sound like running into the Pale Horse, but that wouldn't give you the extra volume for solos, necessarily...

Archived