Speakers Make a Greater Difference in Tone Than Tubes

Caulk Rocket

• Members

I try out different tube brands but I always find myself coming back to the same ones.

I still haven't found current production 12AX7's I'm really happy with though, but current production power tubes seem just fine (I like JJ EL84's and Groove Tubes 6CA7S's for EL34 amps).

I always seem to go for the same speaker too (I'm a big fan of G12H-30's), although I have to say that I like V30's just fine once you get them up to a decent volume and EQ your amp to avoid the upper mid spike.

• Members

Speaker and cabs make a difference...maybe not greater but certianly significant...being a bit of speaker slut, have an alnico and ceramic 8's, a smooth and ribbed ceramic 10's and a smooth alnico, a ribbed alnico and a ribbed ceramic 12's that I try in different configured open, closed, detuned cabs. Yesterday this no name $10 12" alnico from the 70's that I happened to team up with my modeller to tube amp rig...and its sounds waaaay better than the $200 weber...:idea: perhaps its a FR speaker but its staying with the modeller/tube basement rig.

Archived