Immortal busted using fake amp stacks

sneakerpimp

• Members

500x_fake-amp-stacks-immortal-metal-band

My life was just flipped, turned upside down and I didn't even have to move to California. It just took one photo, a dozen instant messages, and a handful of emails to confirm that I've been lied to by musicians.

My first reaction when I saw the photo above was to believe that it could be fake, but several searches for more information led to the same answer: It's from a summer performance of a band called Immortal and it's real. The band had used a fake wall of amps for some reason

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This isn't news. Motley Crue used walls of fake cabs over 20 years ago and lots of people knew about it.

For that matter, why not listen closely to some bands' more recent DVDs of concerts. Doctored out the wazoo; most of the performances are replaced with studio recordings except for the odd key thing which they did a bit differently live (so there's some verisimilitude). Not that this didn't happen before, but it's even more blatant now, and it's a very common thing. So when you hear your favorite band's DVD you waited a year for them to release (I wonder why it took a year, lol!), if it sounds like the guitars/drums/vocals are as good as the album...well...you're most likely not hearing what happened live.

• Members

How bad ass would it be to line your bedroom walls with with those things?

Well, I know I've seen wallpaper or something you can get like that. I tried a google search and couldn't find it though...but it's out there somewhere.

As for the OP....this is not anything new. Some bands will in the very least, stack unloaded "dummy" cabs (I think Slayer does, for one). I mean think about it...sure, it looks awesome, but really...think about what that stage volume would be like! As if sound doesn't suck enough at half the venues out there?! Really, running like 10 full stacks live would be completely unnecessary, and a logistical nightmare on many, many levels.

• Members

O RLY?

i should have added that it's an interesting read considering the source, Gizmodo the gadget site, and the author somewhat admits to being the last person to discover fake amp stacks.

carry on...

Someone posted this at least a month ago, not to mention there have been about 3 or 4 other threads today.

• Members

everyone realizes that this has been a standard stagecraft feature since stadium and arena shows started, right? The freakin band is going to be broadcast through a pa system and mixed and delayed throughout the venue so everyone can hear them. That stage amp pumping out the left side behind SRV (or whoever) IS NOT broadcasting to the back row.

If you EVER see a band with 48 amps all stacked around the stage please realize it's just a pair of socks stuck down yer pants to make ya look manly :eek:

If they were all cranked you couldn't even mic the drummer let alone the vocals :facepalm:

Archived