(Objective) opinions please on this trade

pioneerprogress

• Members

Been offered a PRS SE Tremonti as trade for my strat.

Now, I know there will be a group of raving strat fanbois who can't comprehend anyone ever owning another guitar. And yes I am a fan of the strat neck pickup :love: but I am not brand-loyal to Fender or anything. I know these PRS's are heralded as great guitars for the price range around here. So tell me about pros/cons. Why would I want the PRS? Why would I want to keep the strat instead?

Fire away...

• Members

Strat is double cut, single coil, bolt on neck.

PRS is hummbuckers ( the one I saw) like a les paul, single cut away, and neck through.

My boss would tell me buy it.

My bud that worked on guitars for a while would say don't get a neck through.

I would say, I'm not crazy about the les paul style guitar single cut. Of course this in based on me having seen the right SE and personal preference in conversation, not use.

• Members

I would say, I'm not crazy about the les paul style guitar single cut. Of course this in based on me having seen the right SE and personal preference in conversation, not use.

I'm with you at least that far, well only as far as PRS's are concerned.

If I were just straight out buying the PRS, I would go for a doublecut.

• Members

I suppose it would depend on the strat. If it was Chinese or Korean, it would probably be an equal $ trade. Otherwise pass.

Even if it's a fair $ trade, you'd still have to be OK with having the Creed guy's name on your guitar.

• Members

Strat is double cut, single coil, bolt on neck.

PRS is hummbuckers ( the one I saw) like a les paul, single cut away, and neck through.

My boss would tell me buy it.

My bud that worked on guitars for a while would say don't get a neck through.

Good start! :thu:

I'll add:

Strat is 3 pups, 6 inline tuners, 3 knobs, traditional recessed jack, pup selector by the knobs...

PRS is 2 pups, 3+3 tuners, 4 knobs, jack on bottom, pup selector on upper horn...

:facepalm:

Sorry, that post just struck me as odd.

• Members

the strat is the one in my SPAM, MIM.

value wise I think I'd be a little ahead on the deal, really.

As far as "good for the collection" ...not really, my other guitars are a Les Paul and SG. Les Paul has P90's.

Tonewise it might be a little redundant I guess, but to be honest I don't really use any strat tones, even though I do like them.

^And what do you mean by the bridge feeling different?

• Members

the strat is the one in my SPAM, MIM.

value wise I think I'd be a little ahead on the deal, really.

As far as "good for the collection" ...not really, my other guitars are a Les Paul and SG. Les Paul has P90's.

Tonewise it might be a little redundant I guess, but to be honest I don't really use any strat tones, even though I do like them.

^And what do you mean by the bridge feeling different?

Considering your collection so far I'd stick with the Strat, and if you're not happy with the bridge, middle, and inbetween tones get a couple of new pickups.

• Members

Considering your collection so far I'd stick with the Strat, and if you're not happy with the bridge, middle, and inbetween tones get a couple of new pickups.

It's really just the bridge pickup wasn't happy with. Everything else was :thu:

But really, it doesn't get played any because of it. Been hunting a HSS because my house-remodeling-about-to-have-a-baby finances won't allow me to drop the $ on a bridge pickup and the install. :cry: But I'm also not stuck on just a strat, thus why I've started considering other stuff.

PS, about the Creed thing, popular as it might be, I don't dislike Creed. :o

• Members

It's really just the bridge pickup wasn't happy with. Everything else was
:thu:
But really, it doesn't get played any because of it. Been hunting a HSS because my house-remodeling-about-to-have-a-baby finances won't allow me to drop the $ on a bridge pickup and the install.
:cry:
But I'm also not stuck on just a strat, thus why I've started considering other stuff.

PS, about the Creed thing, popular as it might be, I don't dislike Creed.
:o

Hell man, a single bridge PU isn't that much, especially if you hunt evil bay. You can do the install yourself in minutes if you have a soldering iron. :idea:

The nice thing about the MIM Strat is that if you're not bonding with it you can always throw on a MIA, Mighty Mite, or Warmoth neck, and not have to worry about resale, and in fact might improve resale by adding a pickup and a neck.

Archived