Guitar through a 15"?

Loxley

• Members

I'm considering getting something along the lines of an Ampeg Portaflex, or plug my V-2 into a 1x15 cabinet. I'm set on a full, round, deep, huge sound. Would playing guitar through a 15" speaker hurt it? I want something that I can play both bass and guitar through.

• Members

It wouldn't hurt the speaker.

The reason amp manufacturers dont use 15" speakers is that a they have a slow response time and they have a hard time creating the higher frequencies of the guitars range.

that said,

If you like it then rock it.

i dont think theyre slow in responding, i think you just need more power to move it as effectively do to the (probably) larger voice coil etc. they dont sound good quiet though. the eminence legend 1518 is pretty bright.

• Members

My concern is preserving some of my crazy high end harmonics that I get from some of my effects (especially octave fuzz). Are there any bass-friendly speakers that can produce the same high end as, say a Greenback, while still covering the rest of the range nicely?

• Members

As far as guitar goes, would you consider running a 15 and a 4x12 together?

No. The whole point for this is because I'm about to embark on a solo project and the whole rig has to be highly transportable. If I don't use a portaflex, I'm just going to put my V-2 on top of a single speaker cab.

• Members

i dont think theyre slow in responding, i think you just need more power to move it as effectively do to the (probably) larger voice coil etc. they dont sound good quiet though. the eminence legend 1518 is pretty bright.

I'm not sayin they slow in responding to playin, but they are slow in responding to frequency changes (which means it will sound "muddy" when notes are played quickly). A speaker being bright does not mean it is great at reproducing high range of a guitar. Does it work? YES! is it ideal? No. That is why manufactures dont use them.

As for pumping more power to it I don't know if that would fix the problem? I dont know?

• Members

Thanks for the advice guys.

Let me clarify what I'm trying to do here. I'm not just stuck with the idea of 15s, that was just something that I was throwing around because I do want to have my low end very full, along with everything else.

I'm embarking on this solo act, that will be kind of a Kaki King deal, where I loop percussive attacks and play over that. That is why I want a very full range. I'll probably be putting my V-2 head on top of this and really want just one speaker since that can be mic'd and there's no need to have two in that case. Therefore combining different speakers would also prove fairly pointless unless the venue mic'd both, which may be unlikely they would bother with that. Since this is a solo act and I have a fairly small car, I would like to have a small speaker cab too. 2x12 cabs are really pushing it.

I do plan on using all sorts of crazy effects, especially superfast tremolo, a wash of gated reverb for shoegaze-like effects, and lots of fuzz and distortion.

One thing I was considering was making some rig that was also bass compatible. I am not sold on playing bass for this just yet, but am seriously considering it for some songs. Therefore, I wanted something that was versatile, had plenty of clear high-end definition, but wouldn't crap out if I played bass through it. I also will be playing a baritone through this rig anyway. If this isn't really possible, I'll just drop the bass idea alltogether.

• Members

you could try an EVM 15. my old bassist would switch out in a couple of songs to guitar plugging directly into his GK with a 215 full of them, and his guitar sounds were mammoth, if a little scooped (well.. a lot scooped out..).. but they always had lots of high end.

i think they're wildly underrated as guitar speakers-- especially for guys who do more fingerstyley stuff and grunt it out trying to darken stuff down. the response of a 15 really is nice for slowing attack down a bit and adding a bit of sagginess without the penalties of a saggy amp, and they definitely tame some shrill top end if you use a full paper cone. lot of old rockabilly guys used to love 'em!

• Members

I believe the dude from Grand Funk Railroad also used 15"s

Also, on the other end of the spectrum, Dimebag had them later on in Pantera's run.

I think Scott Ian has used them too, but not 100% sure on that.

As mentioned, Stevie Ray had them as well.

Ive used them too, and dig it. If I was gigging, I'd probably grab up one of those Randall 2x12 + 1x15 cabs, or set up something similar.

In the past I've also fed the Line Out of a Marshall 8100 to the FX return of an old 1x15 bass combo amp, used as sub for rhythm playing. Balls like you wouldn't believe once you dial it all in right. Great for huge death metal riffage, and not flubby at all so long as your careful. Would also sound badass for doom metal too. Also recommended should you gig sans bass player (which I've also done....but not by choice, rather necessity)

Archived