OT: Sleep Deprivation

SnowStorm

• Members

Dont take naps. They'll {censored} your sleep pattern to bits. Tire yourself out and when you feel you're starting to flag drop what you're doing at get in bed even if its a bit early. Staying up an extra hour might push you back out of tiredness again as the body gets weird when it hasnt slept and prepairs for a long haul after a while.

• Members

This week has been effed up for me too.

I was in MO last week for business, getting up at 6:30, in bed by 10, 10:15 and was OUT cold.

Got home last Friday, had a show that night, was out til way late, then couldn't fall asleep, and have been getting to actual sleep probably by 1-2 or so since then. Ugh.

• Members

I've been fighting a sinus cold all week and have been staring at the ceiling till the wee hours of the mornings.

NyQuil and a shot of Jager have done the trick SPLENDIDLY the last 2 nights.

This, but careful when mixing the Acetaminophen in Nyquil with alcohol, liver no likey.

• Members
How do you get back on track? I'm running only on a couple hours of sleep the past few days. Work has been hard lately too, half the day I work outside doing manual labor. I need to get some sleep. Do you guys take naps or how do you get back on track?
:bor:

Melatonin. They sell them in bottles of like 50, you probably only need one. Get the fast acting stuff if you can, that's code for stick it under your tongue and it dissolves in 10 seconds and tastes like mint. That goes to work in about 20 minutes.

If you get the regular stuff, it can hit you between 45-90 minutes, and when it lasts for 7-8 hours that's too much of a buffer zone for me imo.

Oh and that's over the counter, if you keep having trouble then go see a doctor and ask for a prescription for Zopiclone, that {censored} will knock you out right good. Side effects suck but worth it for the sleep (everything tastes like metal for the first half hour after you wake up. It's easily cured though just chug water and it's gone and done in 5 minutes)

As always, for any and all sleep medication you can develop an immunity to that drug, so any extended and frequent use of ANY sleeping aid will eventually end up with that drug having no effect.

DO NOT mix medications, unless specified that you can.

Watch what you're eating as well. Don't drink caffienated beverages or sugar laden foods/drinks after a certain time. (I usually say 02:00pm)

There can be alot to it, it just depends on how bad it's affecting you. Sounds like you've got some minor insomnia though. You should be fine, and if not you can always PM me and I'll lay some {censored} out for you. I am a diagnosed insomniac, or was actually. One of those bad ones too...3 hours night MAX. Yuck.

• Members

Melatonin gave me the most vivid, horrific, terrible hallucinations/sleepterrors/nightmares of my entire life.

I will never touch melatonin again for the rest of my life. horrible horrible horrible stuff.

NEVER again. ever.

imagine being murdered over and over again for all you've done wrong in your life. Imagine it being surreal, but very vivid. Imagine a true hell on earth.

That's Melatonin for me.

You might love it.

• Members

You get over it by sleeping. Not by taking naps or medication, not by oversleeping for 12 hours. Just a good, solid 8 hours of sleep.

Watch your diet from now to bedtime. No coffee, soda, energy shots, no heavy or sugary foods. If you need something to stay awake to finish what you're doing, splash cold water or rub ice cubes in your forehead. It's not as effective as an Energy Shot but it will not cause you sleep problems later.

If you smoke, try to keep it to a minimum and do not have any cigarettes at least2 hours before bedtime. Plan to go to bed 8.5 before you have to wake up the next day. Set your TV on a timer for about 60 minutes at a low but audible volume on some random channel and try to pay attention. When you are tired, your brain will put you to sleep faster if it's actually trying to process something other than just your thoughts.

That should take care of it in a healthy way and put you right back on track for the weekend.

• Members

You get over it by sleeping. Not by taking naps or medication, not by oversleeping for 12 hours. Just a good, solid 8 hours of sleep.

Watch your diet from now to bedtime. No coffee, soda, energy shots, no heavy or sugary foods. If you need something to stay awake to finish what you're doing, splash cold water or rub ice cubes in your forehead. It's not as effective as an Energy Shot but it will not cause you sleep problems later.

If you smoke, try to keep it to a minimum and do not have any cigarettes at least2 hours before bedtime. Plan to go to bed 8.5 before you have to wake up the next day. Set your TV on a timer for about 60 minutes at a low but audible volume on some random channel and try to pay attention. When you are tired, your brain will put you to sleep faster if it's actually trying to process something other than just your thoughts.

That should take care of it in a healthy way and put you right back on track for the weekend.

The only thing I want to add, or more importantly emphasize in all this is when you are watching tv, you want to keep it out of your bed as much as possible. If you HAVE to then as GB suggested watch something boring and disinteresting, never watch anything you actually like and will want to stay up to watch, because then your body will put two and two together and see that bed and thing yeah time to watch movies for 3 hours.

• Members
Melatonin gave me the most vivid, horrific, terrible hallucinations/sleepterrors/nightmares of my entire life.

I will never touch melatonin again for the rest of my life. horrible horrible horrible stuff.

NEVER again. ever.

imagine being murdered over and over again for all you've done wrong in your life. Imagine it being surreal, but very vivid. Imagine a true hell on earth.

That's Melatonin for me.

You might love it.

I suffer really badly from Hypnagogic hallucinations, so thats pretty much what I get as I drift to sleep every evening, without any drugs. The last worryingly frightening one was as I was falling asleep I saw a {censored} off HUGE spider on the end of my bed... think... 4ft across, body the size of a dog etc. I jumped out of bed and walked backwards towards my door, staring at this thing the whole time. I turned on the lightswitch and it was gone. Most people get them as they drift to sleep, but mine continue as I wake up... and nope... im not on any drugs or anything :freak:

If you're going to nap, do it in 90 minute cycles, so either nap for 90 minutes, 180 minutes etc. 90 minutes is the average sleep cycle through the different stages, so you wake up feeling refreshed whereas if you wake up from REM sleep you feel like {censored} for ages, headaches etc.

• Members

I'm kinda :confused: about the 'no naps' comments I'm seeing. Sometimes you have to take sleep where you can get. If that means grabbing an hour long nap in the afternoon, then so be it.

I work 24 hour shifts and there are nights where we get hammered and wind up getting little to no sleep. The only way to survive nights like that is to nap in the afternoon prior to the evening. I worked downtown on Tuesday and we didn't get to bed until nearly 4 a.m. I was beat....but the 1 1/2 hour nap I took in the afternoon helped a lot. Then when i got off yesterday, I got the kids to school and took a short nap.

It ain't the best but like I said, some sleep is better than no sleep. I am a huge proponent of naps.

As for all of the other stuff mentioned here, definitely avoid chemicals/drugs. I used to think a couple cocktails before bed helped me sleep. Not any more.....lately it seems like the best sleep I've had is a chemical/drug/alcohol free 8 hours. Wake up refreshed and ready to rip. Helps start the day off right....particularly if that day happens to be the start of a 24 hour shift.

Archived