Tom Jones does John Lee Hooker a la White Stripes. WTF?

Flogger59

• Members

I love how the ignorant use "emo" the describe everything within the alternative realm. Much like everyone who was different in the late 70's was "punk" (Television, Richard Hell, Elvis Costello, Blondie, Devo... etc).

Ummm, wrong person here buddy. I like plenty of "alternative music", but Jack White has a whiny voice that screams emo. :poke:

And I never even considered any of the above bands punk.

Also, I have a feeling you wouldn't no real alternative or punk it bit you on the ass. When you start calling AR friendly pop rock ala the White Stripes "alternative", you're kind of missing the whole point. Alternative was just that, the alternative to the radio rock of the day, and IMO the originals were the only ones who truly fit the bill. Everyone else coming after was jumping on the band wagon, trying to claim street cred. :poke:

• Members

I love how the ignorant use "emo" the describe everything within the alternative realm. Much like everyone who was different in the late 70's was "punk" (Television, Richard Hell, Elvis Costello, Blondie, Devo... etc).

Back to EG with your tight pants. :wave:

• Members

Okay, I'll bite. School me on punk, please. What don't I "no?"

Well, you do know how to spot a typo and pounce on it like Pedo Bear at a Chucky Cheese B-Day party. :idea:

Don't have time to go youtube hunting right now, as I've got a date, but...

MC5

Stooges

Patti Smith

Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers

The Damned

Cock Sparrer

Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Dayglo Abortions

The Dead Boys

Social Distortion

Sex Pistols

Ramones

Belching Penguins

DRI's first two releases

The Germs

The Subhumans

D.O.A.

Circle Jerks

DK

Poison Idea

Generation X

The Misfits

The Dickies

The Butthole Surfers

The Slits

The Buzzcocks

At least that's a good start.

• Members

Well, you do know how to spot a typo and pounce on it like Pedo Bear at a Chucky Cheese B-Day party.
:idea:

Don't have time to go youtube hunting right now, as I've got a date, but...

MC5

Stooges

Patti Smith

Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers

The Damned

Cock Sparrer

Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Dayglo Abortions

The Dead Boys

Social Distortion

Sex Pistols

Ramones

Belching Penguins

DRI's first two releases

The Germs

The Subhumans

D.O.A.

Circle Jerks

DK

Poison Idea

Generation X

The Misfits

The Dickies

The Butthole Surfers

The Slits

The Buzzcocks

At least that's a good start.

1. I mentioned Richard Hell before and you pointed out how you never considered him punk (because technically they, the voidoids, weren't) and then go on to list them here as punk.

2. Thunders quit the Dolls in '75 and rumor has it that he and Nolan had the Heartbreakers lined up before they got back to NY... 2 years before the term "punk" even came about. Also, he HATED the name "punk."

3. Stooges and MC5: same as above...

4. Just because "Horses" got played in CBGB's doesn't really mean Patti Smith is "punk."

The point is... I was 8 years old the first time I gave my dad's Young Loud and Snotty record a spin and 10 years old when I picked up my first copy of Raw Power. You were ill advised in assuming that I don't what "real" punk is. You made an ignorant comment when you "used" emo in the same sentence as Jack White. Fact. Don't try to belittle someone else because you {censored}ed up.

*And yes, spelling is what lets people know you aren't an idiot.

• Members

1. I mentioned Richard Hell before and you pointed out how you never considered him punk (because technically they, the voidoids, weren't) and then go on to list them here as punk.

2. Thunders quit the Dolls in '75 and rumor has it that he and Nolan had the Heartbreakers lined up before they got back to NY... 2 years before the term "punk" even came about. Also, he HATED the name "punk."

3. Stooges and MC5: same as above...

4. Just because "Horses" got played in CBGB's doesn't really mean Patti Smith is "punk."

The point is... I was 8 years old the first time I gave my dad's Young Loud and Snotty record a spin and 10 years old when I picked up my first copy of Raw Power. You were ill advised in assuming that I don't what "real" punk is. You made an ignorant comment when you "used" emo in the same sentence as Jack White. Fact. Don't try to belittle someone else because you {censored}ed up.

*And yes, spelling is what lets people know you aren't an idiot.

I was referring to Television, Blondie and Devo, and cool you actually do know what you're talking about. Television was pop-rock, Devo and Blondie New Wave. While I detest the use of the term punk in reference to the pop bands labeled as proto-punk, I totally accept it when referencing the rawer angrier music of the day that was the true forebear of the first wave of real punk bands.

Just because they came out before the term "punk" was coined doesn't change the fact that the Stooges were everything that punk could ever be wrapped up in one angry raw energy packed punch, and I'll say the same of MC5 any day.

Third, are you going to say you don't have typos in any post you've ever submitted, even if you ninja edited it out? If so I'm gonna call you a liar right here and now. I'm usually good at catching them, but being busy I was not really preoccupied with being graded on my post. :rolleyes:

Oh, and fourth, if you're picking out minuscule typos, you are definitely not now, and never were punk. No matter how much you might know about the subject. If there's anything that embodies the punk ethos, it's the fact that heart and attitude not technicality are what's important.

You get the :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: for not being punk, but preaching about what is. :cop:

• Members

Considering Jack White does everything ala John Lee Hooker, well lo-fi minus the killer boogie feel, I'd say Tom got it from the source, not the putz.
:cop:

+1

+ 'Blind Lemon Jefferson on the wrong vinyl-speed' vocals :-D

People need to realize blues existed before JW started to be hip.

Archived