NAD

fretout

• Members
Nice. HNAD!
:thu:

Thanks man! I love the tonality and features this amp has. I play thrash metal and this amp pulls it off perfectly. I would have bought a Mark V, but since I mainly stay on the Lead Channel, I decided on the Mark IV. I like the lead channel on the Mark IV better than the Mark Vs.

When I first started playing, the Rectos were the "amp to have", but since I discovered the Mark series, I haven't looked back. The Rectos are great amps, but there were times I wanted to have a tighter-tracking amp. The combo of Mark+Recto is perfect for me.

• Members
So when are you getting a Mark V to have dual stereo setups?
:cop::lol:

If all goes well, maybe in 2-3 months. I haven't bought a guitar in 4 years, so I feel like I am over due. I love the Mark Vs versatility, but I wanted to get another Mark IV before they are gone. I waited with cash-in-hand for about a year before I was able to pick up my first Mark IV.

• Members

I just bought the V. Tell me what you think about the lead channels in comparison.

I prefer the Mark IV lead to the Mark V's channel 3, for a few reasons. IMO, the lead channel on the Mark IV is a little more "in your face" and "aggressive" than the Mark V. The other selling point is for the Mark IV is the ability to customize the sound of the lead channel. On the Mark IV, you have a "Lead Drive" pot, and this feature is unavailable on the Mark V (but, IIRC, the lead drive on the Mark V is set at 7.5, which is commonly known as "the sweet spot"). Also, with all the push/pull knobs and rocker switches, the Mark IV has a versatile foundation to build a good, high-gain tone from.

IMO, the Mark V is an all-around better amp, with focus on on great usable channels with several modes to choose from, and the Mark IV has more focus on the lead channel's versatility with the rhythm channels along for the ride.

• Members
Awesome! I played a IVa once and it was sweeeeet.
:love:

I gotta admit though, I still love my Stereo pre / 295 simul poweramp combo the best of the mark editions.
:idk:

I thought about picking up the stereo pre and 2:90 setup, but I don't own any rack gear (other than my Korg tuner and Furman Power Conditioner).

• Members
Nice. Every Metallica fan should own one.

It's surprising how well these amps nail the "Metallica" sound, especially since Metallica uses Mark IIC+s. Every once in a while, I'll try the Metallica settings, but I like to boost the top end and mids with the knobs, and cut and boost with the EQ. I have come up with some really "unconventional" settings that have sounded great.

• Members
Pretty much all marks post iic+ have pretty similar lead sounds. They all can nail the metallica tone with ease imo, and have a range of other great sounds.

Hnad

I love the Mark Series amps and their lead tones. Most of the Marks have really great "pristine clean" tones too. I actually use the Orange Channel of the amp as a clean tone with a hint of breakup. I have been able to get some decent high-gain rhythm tones out of the Orange Channel, but then the Green Channel suffers (shared controls).

All I really need is a two channel amp. This weekend I think I'll try slaving into an EL34 loaded, 2 channel Recto, just to see what kind of "balls" it gives the Mark.

• Members

I hate Mesa, other than their Power Amps, Colisseum, and Mark 1 original. HNAD regardless.

Mesas aren't for everyone, but I can make them sound good. I have tried a lot of other amps, but everytime I try another amp, I always end up picking up a Mesa.

Archived