Peavey Windsor info and opinions needed.

Dr.Picklebottom

• Members

i was considering trading the ole hot rod deluxe for something id occasionally use. theres a couple windsors available locally for relatively cheap.

from what ive heard sort of a jcm800 type of amp?

i plan on going to check one out tomorrow but was wondering what people think of it, any issues, etc.

i generally use a decent amount of gain but dont like using metal tones.

thanks. :)

• Members
i was considering trading the ole hot rod deluxe for something id occasionally use. theres a couple windsors available locally for relatively cheap.

from what ive heard sort of a jcm800 type of amp?

i plan on going to check one out tomorrow but was wondering what people think of it, any issues, etc.

i generally use a decent amount of gain but dont like using metal tones.

thanks.
:)

they're kinda like a jcm800 in that it's a single channel rock amp, but it's not a clone or anything.
If you like Peavey amps, you'd probably like the Windsor. Nothing mind-blowing though.
Personally, I use it as a base for my pedalboard. Crank the MV, use gain knob to adjust volume.

• Members
they're kinda like a jcm800 in that it's a single channel rock amp, but it's not a clone or anything.

If you like Peavey amps, you'd probably like the Windsor. Nothing mind-blowing though.

Personally, I use it as a base for my pedalboard. Crank the MV, use gain knob to adjust volume.

cool, thanks for the info.

i was pedalboard retarded for a long time and still have some nice dirt pedals but these days im really trying to stay away from pedal gain. id be using this for its own gain, probably boosted if necessary. :)

• Members
cool, thanks for the info.

i was pedalboard retarded for a long time and still have some nice dirt pedals but these days im really trying to stay away from pedal gain. id be using this for its own gain, probably boosted if necessary.
:)

It'll do the job, I would definitely recommend trying it if possibly before buying. This amp really seems to send folks in either the like or extreme dislike direction.

• Members

i was considering trading the ole hot rod deluxe for something id occasionally use.

It's a decent amp, but I'd think your Hot Rod Deluxe is worth more, so if you're gonna swap, at least ask for some cash in addition to the Windsor.

I agree that you should play one first, they aren't for everyone. They have a decent AMOUNT of gain, but the gain structure leaves something to be desired in my opinion. I've found that they are fine for just banging on power chords, but if you have really good chops the amp will have a hard time articulating really fast, technical runs. That's been my experience with my Windsor.

• Members

200 is too much for a used windsor. I see them for less than 200 all the time.

The one i had at home for a couple days sounded "similar" to my single channel 800's. Just less ballsy and a bit less articulate. If you jack them up with a tubescreamer in front they are very good sounding rock amps.

Build quality is NOTHING like an old 800, though that is to be expected for a cheap import amp.

• Members

200 is too much for a used windsor. I see them for less than 200 all the time.

The one i had at home for a couple days sounded "similar" to my single channel 800's. Just less ballsy and a bit less articulate. If you jack them up with a tubescreamer in front they are very good sounding rock amps.

Build quality is NOTHING like an old 800, though that is to be expected for a cheap import amp.

realistically you're not going to find one for much cheaper than 200.

They may have gotten blown out at Guitar Center for that price new, but it seems to be holding at that amount in the used market.

• Members

I wouldn't pay $50 for a Windsor. It's just not worth it. You'd need to have around $600 worth of mods done to make it sound decent, and that defeats the purpose of buying a cheap amp.

I agree with everyone about the VTM. See if you can find one of those or a Butcher, and then have me build you a new headshell for it, so that it looks as good as it sounds. ;)

• Members
I wouldn't pay $50 for a Windsor. It's just not worth it. You'd need to have around $600 worth of mods done to make it sound decent, and that defeats the purpose of buying a cheap amp.

I agree with everyone about the VTM. See if you can find one of those or a Butcher, and then have me build you a new headshell for it, so that it looks as good as it sounds.
;)

I did about 200.00 worth on mine, and it OWNS. NOT FOR SALE. 400.00 total for a world class amp, series parallel loop switchable loop, and cleans up very well with just the volume knob on my guitar.

• Members

From what I gather they're a good platform for modding if you're that way inclined. Main beef I've heard is that the cathodyne phase inverter isnt all that well designed which leads to all sorts of ugly when its overdriven.

This

and it's not to hard to turn PI into LTP.

As of right now I'm in the planning phases of what I'm going to do to it mod wise.

I think I'm going to add an extra tube and use halve of it for a 4gs overdrive channel and 1/2 for a fenderish clean channel.

• Members

I did about 200.00 worth on mine, and it OWNS. NOT FOR SALE. 400.00 total for a world class amp, series parallel loop switchable loop, and cleans up very well with just the volume knob on my guitar.

clips?

Also can you share the power amp mods you did?

• Members

I'd be interested to hear some clips. I was going to mod my own, but the guts looked pretty cheap, and the trannies were very small too. I reasoned that I might do a bunch of work to it, and end up with a marginally better sounding amp, but still made from cheap parts.

I'm much happier with my Rhino. Paid even less for it than I did for the Windsor, and it sounds killer without any mods whatsoever. Not to mention, it's a 2 channel amp with separate EQs for both channels. The Rhino is also LUDICROUSLY LOUD. It's probably as loud as my old Randall RGT100, but is also switchable between 50 and 100 watts.

• Members

I changed the output Transformer to a MM, and added a MM choke. Upgraded the Electrolytics and tone caps, added Carbon comps to the tone section. Changed several of the pots, and did some mods to the output section to accomodate KT-88s. Modded the effects loops with a series or Parallel loop switch, and upgraded components. I also use 4% WGT Silver solder on every contact, some think it makes a difference, some dont.

Archived