Kirk Hammet.......

Gary666

• Members

....what happened? You listen to his early solos off Ride, Master, and Justice and think, this guys got potential to be a monster player. Then his solos have progressively gotten worse. How do you play and tour as much as he does and not get better?

You'd think be now he'd be really awesome and up there with EVH, Marty, Paul, ect. Just puzzling to me that he's gone backwards with his playing when it's his way of making a living.

Could it be he just discovered the wha pedal and said {censored} it, I'll just wank on this and be done with it???

CSB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

solos on justice and RTL are good. to live is to die, shortest straw both have nice solos. RTL (the song) has some epic soloing in it.

i think AJFA has the worst solos of any of their albums. he wasnt happy with them either as i remember reading he only had two weeks or something

• Members

I like his solo on Creeping Death, thought it was pretty bad ass. All I'm wondering is how someone who does it for a living can not kick themselves in the ass and say I gotta step UP my game.

because for reasons unknown to me, metallica can mic up james toilet and record his wet morning {censored}, eq it to sound literally even {censored}tier than it already does and assholes will still buy it and support it

• Members

Troll thread? Maybe. Still I saw him live twice the last years and although he plays what he plays he didn't miss a note.

Plus metallica's riffs are not exactly "backing tracks" to practice on. I dare (and not in a bad way, not at all) every "hater" to take one backing track of a recent metallica record and play something better. I think he will be served his balls on a plate and then swallow them.

The solo on disposable heroes, for me is more inspirational than anything I've come across for a long long time. He solos WITH the band something that many people forget. He plays arpegios muted reversed scaling and very interesting stuff, without being tiresome or a wanker in that solo.

• Members

I used to be a big Hammet fan when I was younger. Now I realize he's not that great at all, but still a good fit for Metallica. I got about 25 bootlegs from 83-93, and there's a lot of bad playing and out of tune playing on them.

Creeping Death is still an awesome solo, RTL solos are good, the second half of Disposable Heroes is pretty kicking too.

I hope I get better every year, and in 15 years I'm gonna sound better than I do now.

• Members

I like his playing. He's not technically advanced compared with other players, but that's not the only criteria i use to judge a player. I think he's the perfect fit for Metallica and a major part of why the band got so big. I remember growing up I'd listen to Metallica all the time, because not only they sounded great but they had tons of solos I could learn note for note and jam with my band. I am willing to bet millions of other kids felt the same way. On my middle and high school band we would always go for Metallica covers because they were relatively easy to learn and kids would go crazy about it.

Archived