Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kirk Hammet.......

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EW! Can you imagine Kirk Hammett ****************ing up the solos to Hangar 18?!

Comment

He's a sloppy player, but wrote some great solos back in the day. I don't think he is any sloppier than Page or later EVH. I've seen youtube clips of Petrucci playing some of Kirks solos, and they sound great with a good guitar player playing them.

I wish Hetfield played more solos. His are the best.

Comment

Definitely not a good guitarist because he uses the pentatonic scale instead of a Phrygian or Aoelian. The best guitarist use these scales. He also needs to reach with his pinky more or he's just not a very good guitarist. It's not about the raw energy or vibe it's about obscure scales and subjective difficulty levels. He's simply not that advanced. Jimmy Page did the same thing. He used a lot of pentatonic blues scales. It's really a shame. He could have been a good guitarist. Also, Iron Maiden's riffs need more work too. The riffs could be more complex and use more half diminished scale patterns, that would make them actually good. If only we could go fix these things. Trust me, I know because I'm sitting on my ass typing on a guitar forum.

Nah. None of that makes him good or bad. He's not a good guitarist because 85% of what he plays sounds like ****************. His vibrato is more akin to a nervous twitch than any kind of string shake. He has a poor sense of rhythm and a worse sense of tone. His transitions from piece to piece are shaky and off time. He drowns his playing in an out of control wah frenzy that only partially covers his lack of authority in the parts he attempts to play.

Hetfield has raw energy - Hammet was lucky to ride his and Cliff Burton's coat tails to fame and fortune.

That's for you...
        -ESP: SS Alexi Sawtooth-Framus: Cobra KT88-VHT: FB-412 P50E-Maxon: OD808-iSP: Decimator-Dunlop: DCR-2SR-Eventide: TimeFactor-Peterson: VS-R Tuner-Furman: AR-15 II-Eventide: PowerFactor-Axess: GRX4 & MFC5

Comment

Definitely not a good guitarist because he uses the pentatonic scale instead of a Phrygian or Aoelian. The best guitarist use these scales. He also needs to reach with his pinky more or he's just not a very good guitarist. It's not about the raw energy or vibe it's about obscure scales and subjective difficulty levels. He's simply not that advanced. Jimmy Page did the same thing. He used a lot of pentatonic blues scales. It's really a shame. He could have been a good guitarist. Also, Iron Maiden's riffs need more work too. The riffs could be more complex and use more half diminished scale patterns, that would make them actually good. If only we could go fix these things. Trust me, I know because I'm sitting on my ass typing on a guitar forum.

How did Iron Maiden come in???
          Ibanez RG3520ZH

UNLEASH TEH FURY!

Comment

You think Hammett gives a ****************??? Hes a billionaire who wrote the best songs in thrash history. He could have stopped after MOP and been legendary. BAH!!!
            Ibanez RG3520ZH

UNLEASH TEH FURY!

Comment

Nah. None of that makes him good or bad. He's not a good guitarist because 85% of what he plays sounds like ****************. His vibrato is more akin to a nervous twitch than any kind of string shake. He has a poor sense of rhythm and a worse sense of tone. His transitions from piece to piece are shaky and off time. He drowns his playing in an out of control wah frenzy that only partially covers his lack of authority in the parts he attempts to play.

Hetfield has raw energy - Hammet was lucky to ride his and Cliff Burton's coat tails to fame and fortune.

That's for you...

Well everyones entitled to an opinion. IMHO Kirk Hammet has matured as a player and most of the wankers on here are just plain envious. The solo from "The day that never comes" is one of his best and ranks up there with "creeping death" .

Comment

Well everyones entitled to an opinion. IMHO Kirk Hammet has matured as a player and most of the wankers on here are just plain envious. The solo from "The day that never comes" is one of his best and ranks up there with "creeping death" .

My subjective probability for whether you are being sarcastic here is about 0.50.
                Good deals with: the avenger, Zepsongs, BryanFTWL, gibbyshibby, marshmi, Ovid9, emptyparadigm, thesockmonster, Krunch79, VoodooChild24, espdna, StopReferencing, mhn433, NixerX, Mood Sphinx, itkindaworks, SomeDayRockstar, guller1, metz420(TGP)

Comment

You think Hammett gives a ****************??? Hes a billionaire who wrote the best songs in thrash history. He could have stopped after MOP and been legendary. BAH!!!

Look at the writing credits. Hammett gets credit on many of them, but he's usually listed third, and I don't it's controversial to say that James writes most/nearly all of the material.

And, yeah, I know he's rich and successful, and gets to play awesome gigs with an awesome band. Nevertheless, as the OP pointed out, his lead playing has gotten significantly worse, to the point where most of the solos on DM are just bad. (And I liked DM.)
                  Good deals with: the avenger, Zepsongs, BryanFTWL, gibbyshibby, marshmi, Ovid9, emptyparadigm, thesockmonster, Krunch79, VoodooChild24, espdna, StopReferencing, mhn433, NixerX, Mood Sphinx, itkindaworks, SomeDayRockstar, guller1, metz420(TGP)

Comment

My subjective probability for whether you are being sarcastic here is about 0.50.

Hey its my opinion. My estimation of his artistic work is not based on how many sweeps he can do in a minute or how many stolen Satch riffs he employs. The fact that he upsets so many drones and clones actually raises him up in my estimation!

Comment

Hey its my opinion. My estimation of his artistic work is not based on how many sweeps he can do in a minute or how many stolen Satch riffs he employs. The fact that he upsets so many drones and clones actually raises him up in my estimation!

There are plenty of non-technical players whom I admire. (Others would say the same.) I like Clapton's lead work, even if it isn't highly technical. But Kirk's later solos don't seem to have a lot of feel or soul either. I agree with you, however, that his solo on "The Day that Never Comes" fits the song very well, though I think the descending chromatic lick he throws in seemed like lazy writing.

Comment

Kirk's early lead work is one of my biggest influences from when I was a kid just starting out. I owe him a lot for how much I wanted to play guitar and keeping me going. And I won't lie and say I find that early stuff boring or lame now. The recorded stuff is still great. But I also have to agree that he got lazy as time went on, and his live playing is off when it comes to timing and it always has been. He doesn't have to sweep or play obscure scales to be good in my estimation, but his playing isn't as good as it used to be.
                        Peavey Ultra 120 Plus
                        Genz Benz G-Glex 2x12
                        Great transactions with: GuitarMan216, rockitsauce, lackingimpact, Ballfuzz, ToWillOneThing, airship71, litzilong, Exdeath, RUExp? (x2), Boris the Blade

Comment

There are plenty of non-technical players whom I admire. (Others would say the same.) I like Clapton's lead work, even if it isn't highly technical. But Kirk's later solos don't seem to have a lot of feel or soul either. I agree with you, however, that his solo on "The Day that Never Comes" fits the song very well, though I think the descending chromatic lick he throws in seemed like lazy writing.

I really like when I see diversity on people's oppinions. That said I also like many non technical players. That said I also think Clapton is a million times worse than hammett a true piece of ****************!!! Ha ha. No really I hate his guts and can't stand his songs or playing it is like I am aging faster and here my brain dying by the minute.
                          "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

I'm just glad I still listen to music for the enjoyment of it and not sit there and nit pick every note or chord played thinking what could have been.

If I ever get to that point then personally I think listening to anything would not be enjoyable anymore.
                            Gibson | Mesa Boogie
                            PRS | ESP | Bogner

Comment

If he would have stopped after MoP, he would have been legendary. Just about everything after MoP has been a **************** sandwich.
                              -ESP: SS Alexi Sawtooth-Framus: Cobra KT88-VHT: FB-412 P50E-Maxon: OD808-iSP: Decimator-Dunlop: DCR-2SR-Eventide: TimeFactor-Peterson: VS-R Tuner-Furman: AR-15 II-Eventide: PowerFactor-Axess: GRX4 & MFC5

Comment

I like most of his solos up to the black album, after that i dont like them as much . i hate most of the Dm solos and i agree with most others that his playing is worse than ever, hes not that great but like i said earlier i liked alot of his older stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X