Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh.

Comment

, My Friend Of Misery

I might be wrong, but I heard that the main solo was by James. (I think the outro solo is Kirk's, but the harmonized leads are James.)
      Good deals with: the avenger, Zepsongs, BryanFTWL, gibbyshibby, marshmi, Ovid9, emptyparadigm, thesockmonster, Krunch79, VoodooChild24, espdna, StopReferencing, mhn433, NixerX, Mood Sphinx, itkindaworks, SomeDayRockstar, guller1, metz420(TGP)

Comment

Troll thread? Maybe. Still I saw him live twice the last years and although he plays what he plays he didn't miss a note.

Plus metallica's riffs are not exactly "backing tracks" to practice on. I dare (and not in a bad way, not at all) every "hater" to take one backing track of a recent metallica record and play something better. I think he will be served his balls on a plate and then swallow them.

The solo on disposable heroes, for me is more inspirational than anything I've come across for a long long time. He solos WITH the band something that many people forget. He plays arpegios muted reversed scaling and very interesting stuff, without being tiresome or a wanker in that solo.
        "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

I might be wrong, but I heard that the main solo was by James. (I think the outro solo is Kirk's, but the harmonized leads are James.)

I think so too. Bob Rock said that Hetfield just did them with an MXR+ pedal straight to the board!
          "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

I used to be a big Hammet fan when I was younger. Now I realize he's not that great at all, but still a good fit for Metallica. I got about 25 bootlegs from 83-93, and there's a lot of bad playing and out of tune playing on them.

Creeping Death is still an awesome solo, RTL solos are good, the second half of Disposable Heroes is pretty kicking too.

I hope I get better every year, and in 15 years I'm gonna sound better than I do now.
            My Youtube channel
            My reverbnation

Comment

Still I saw him live twice the last years and although he plays what he plays he didn't miss a note.

LAWL
              If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

Hammett's changes on Blackened are kinda awful and jagged. And the tubescreamer + crybaby combo makes his tone sound godawful.

Comment

LAWL

heh heh heh
                  Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Or you can try living on the southside of Chicago on eight dollars a month and learn some real blues phrases.

YouTube • Soundclick

Comment

I like his playing. He's not technically advanced compared with other players, but that's not the only criteria i use to judge a player. I think he's the perfect fit for Metallica and a major part of why the band got so big. I remember growing up I'd listen to Metallica all the time, because not only they sounded great but they had tons of solos I could learn note for note and jam with my band. I am willing to bet millions of other kids felt the same way. On my middle and high school band we would always go for Metallica covers because they were relatively easy to learn and kids would go crazy about it.
                    http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Meh.

Comment

I think so too. Bob Rock said that Hetfield just did them with an MXR+ pedal straight to the board!

I just had to listen to that song, as I hadn't heard it in 15+ years. There are three solos. The first one fits this to a T. Definitely James, sounds like it's straight into the board. The other two, though, sound WAAAAAY more like Kirk than James to me. In any case, I wouldn't put any of them on my list of favorites.

For Metallica, that list is:

Jump in the Fire (especially the outro)
                        Ride the Lightning
                        Fade to Black (outro)
                        Creeping Death
                        The Call of Ktulu (EPIC!)
                        Master of Puppets (the one after the second harmony section)
                        Disposable Heroes (EPIC!)
                        Orion (the whole thing)
                        Blackened
                        Dyer's Eve
                        The Unforgiven

Comment

Troll thread? Maybe. Still I saw him live twice the last years and although he plays what he plays he didn't miss a note.Plus metallica's riffs are not exactly "backing tracks" to practice on. I dare (and not in a bad way, not at all) every "hater" to take one backing track of a recent metallica record and play something better. I think he will be served his balls on a plate and then swallow them.

The solo on disposable heroes, for me is more inspirational than anything I've come across for a long long time. He solos WITH the band something that many people forget. He plays arpegios muted reversed scaling and very interesting stuff, without being tiresome or a wanker in that solo.

I saw them in 2008, with Down and The Sword. Kirk came in about a measure too late on one of the solos to One. He didn't miss a note, but it didn't matter, since he was out of time with the rest of the band. It was bad.
                          Originally Posted by baijunwei

I will convince my words just by sound performance.

Originally Posted by thinkpad20

This cool story brought to you by left field

Comment

I think Kirks solos on most Metallica songs/albums fit the music very well (which IMO is what really matters in a solo) with the exception of Death Magnetic. Why they had him create his solos for Death Magentic without using the actual songs structure as the base is beyond me.

As far as his more recent live playing I've seen him be spot on some nights and be way off on others. He does have some hand/wrist issues these days. Not sure if it's carpel tunnel or what.
                            Gibson | Mesa Boogie
                            PRS | ESP | Bogner

Comment

" "Best toan in teh land" - champion

Good Buyers/Sellers :Mikenothing , SirKonks,Dimebag11 x2,Dropped_2_c,Boris the Blade,thefyn,MrSandman,Gabe15,GuidanceOfSin,shane1 59 X2,Mparsons,rabott13,warplangrey,iamthearm, SkyHighRocks,RobotBodiesBFF,Tu Be x2,IanDOL,Fridgit,Jim Ansell ,GutterMouth,LionHeaRT07 ,Zao X2,m3at,Bluesman001,Khoifish321,thinkpad20,vangkm, juice,phatgirl,Trembulant,knope , Knucklefux, pfapin,rareguitar,donsimon76, again with this, Jerry Dyer, eagertokill,rugbyguitargod

Comment

" "Best toan in teh land" - champion

Good Buyers/Sellers :Mikenothing , SirKonks,Dimebag11 x2,Dropped_2_c,Boris the Blade,thefyn,MrSandman,Gabe15,GuidanceOfSin,shane1 59 X2,Mparsons,rabott13,warplangrey,iamthearm, SkyHighRocks,RobotBodiesBFF,Tu Be x2,IanDOL,Fridgit,Jim Ansell ,GutterMouth,LionHeaRT07 ,Zao X2,m3at,Bluesman001,Khoifish321,thinkpad20,vangkm, juice,phatgirl,Trembulant,knope , Knucklefux, pfapin,rareguitar,donsimon76, again with this, Jerry Dyer, eagertokill,rugbyguitargod

Comment

Working...
                                X