Thinking of sending my marshall to David Bray...

FastRedPonyCar

• Members

I'm going to see if kurt granger can do this for me first since he's local but if not, I'm going to send the JTM45 to David to make it sound like this :love:

It's like sex for my ears. Hell if that's what the amp sounded like and there was just 1 knob on it for volume, I would be happy... or no volume knob at all. Just simply plug in and you get that tone and the amp is internally wired so that it's like the volume pots are wide open :lol: I wouldn't complain a bit.

[YOUTUBE]T16KaD9L_L0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Had a plexi with the re-work/mod 1. I've never had to fight an amp like I did that one. If you can crank it and you have a cab like his with pre-rola greenbacks your in business. If not you will be dissapoint.

Getting an amp loud isn't a problem for me but why are the old greenbacks needed? Are they some key ingredient to the sound? Or does the voice of that amp just not jive well with other speakers?

• Members

Getting an amp loud isn't a problem for me but why are the old greenbacks needed? Are they some key ingredient to the sound? Or does the voice of that amp just not jive well with other speakers?

Thats just the cab he always uses on his clips. I played mine through all sorts of speakers and it didn't sound like it should. I swapped tubes for what seemed an eternity and still no luck in getting that tone. The hole story is I got it off of e-bay for $900.00 and I think the seller may have saboteged it out of sour grapes since I got it on the cheap. Or the old greenies contribute greatly to the tone. I'm not saying David Bray isn't talented or that he does bad work, I'm just lending my experience.

Here is the clip of the amp before David Bray sent it out to the original owner. It had the re-work/mod II not the mod I as I mentioned in my previous post.

[YOUTUBE]rHv-tnrVshQ[/YOUTUBE]

This clip is me playing the same amp. I'm not as good a player as David Bray mind you. I cant remember the guitar I played but I do know the gain was dimed and the volume was around 2. Rum and coke influenced.

[YOUTUBE]fUIMqfBh6nQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The nitro does the whole angry JCM800 thing but I want that scorching brown tone that bray gets in that clip. the 45 can't do that even with boost.

True, my point was that you already have 3 kick ass high gain heads so the more tamed vibe of the stock JTM45 fits a better niche in your collection.

But again, you can't go wrong either way here.

• Members

interesting....

well, like I said, I may end up seeing what kurt granger is able to do first because that would save me a lot of $$ on shipping since he's local and I'd be able to hear it in person before taking final delivery so to speak. He's got a jtm45~style amp that he's modded for more gain/master volume/etc that I want to hear first.

• Members

interesting....

well, like I said, I may end up seeing what kurt granger is able to do first because that would save me a lot of $$ on shipping since he's local and I'd be able to hear it in person before taking final delivery so to speak. He's got a jtm45~style amp that he's modded for more gain/master volume/etc that I want to hear first.

That makes alot of sense. Kurt's stuff sounds killer too.

I'm not trying to sway you out of the Bray stuff because all of his clips, and everyone elses clips of his stuff sound great. I just had a hell of a time trying to get that thing to sound good. Operator error probably.:lol:

• Members

I would tend to agree with Marshallmel here, I also have a Bray modded 1987X, I bought it sight unseen, expecting VH in a box, and was sadly disappointed. Now mind you, my amp was apparently ordered to cover Sabbath tones, AC/DC and "some" VH by the original owner. It sounds good, but it does not sound like VH in the least, at least to my ears. I am playing it through a greenback clone loaded 1960AV cabinet as well.

• Members

$575 for the bray mod
:cry:
:cry:

I was kinda bummed when I emailed him too, I asked it he would charge full mod price to revise my amp to another level of mod, and he says No, then proceeds to tell me it would be 495 to go from my current mod 1 to a mod 2. not exactly what I was prepared to spend, but thats his business I guess, wasnt expecting it to be 40 bucks either.

Archived