Marshall Valvestate: NEED HELP!

SLY_Z_28

• Members

Amp turns on and LED work on amp and on the footswitch. no sound. guitar works. guitar cable works. speakers work. All work with another amp. If I put it on channel 3 the sound is very very quiet, i mean your ear on the speaker to hear it quiet. clean channel and overdrive channel do not work it seems. Amp was working one day and just died.

Any tips, tricks, diagnoses?

• Members

The fact that its power section is solid state could make any number of things. Could be a bad solder joint, could be a short in the wiring, etc. I would definitely take it to a tech and see if it could be fixed on the cheap. It might just be cheaper to buy another one, honestly. Valvestates aren't very expensive, and paying for labor may not make it worth it. :idk:

• Members

I have a friend who uses a VS100 and it does the same thing. Through trial and error he noticed that when it went out he could fiddle with the loop level pot and it would come back. I don't know how or why this affected anything... but apprently there's some correlation there on his. Try it and let me know if it did anything.

• Members

I have a friend who uses a VS100 and it does the same thing. Through trial and error he noticed that when it went out he could fiddle with the loop level pot and it would come back. I don't know how or why this affected anything... but apprently there's some correlation there on his. Try it and let me know if it did anything.

loop level pot on the front of the amp? which channel did he try this on?

• Members

loop level pot on the front of the amp? which channel did he try this on?

I was thinking it was on the back, but the VS100 pictures on google have it on the front. I dunno man. Give them all a shot.

Peavey Impact and Sixtonoize seem to know more about this than I do, though. I'd take their advice first.

• Members

If i were an electrician...what would i test?

because most of the ones that I fixed it was an intermittent fault , sound coming in and out and stopping , then working fine I would flex the boards a little to kinda locate where the problem was . then look at the solder joints in that area and redo them

if you are not an electrician I wouldnt advise to do this because even with the amp off the caps can store a nasty voltage

you could try taking a cord from the preamp out into another amp if it has one and that would probably let you know if it was there (no sound still) or if sound comes out, possibly the power section of the amp

Archived