Not a revolutionary technique, but very effective......

groovetube

• Members

I was puttering around last night with the trimpots on a few of my pedals and decided to see what, if any difference pulling 2 power tubes would make to my amp. From some info I gleaned here, it doesn't matter if you pull the two inner tubes or the two outer ones, so I just decided to pull the two inner EL-84's. The result was immediately noticeable. Not just like something I wanted to hear (def. not a placebo effect) but a really big difference.I can't believe I never did this in the past!

One thing I have to point out is that, for various reasons, I've never cranked my amp. I did a few years back with crappy old speakers and ancient tubes, but that doesn't count. So anyway, I generally play my amp at low volumes.

The Peavey Classics have a killer clean channel at any volume, but I've never been able to use the lead channel because at lower volumes it, well, kinda sucks. So basically I've been using a delay in the loop and fuzz/OD/distortion pedals out front and getting great results. But now, OMG, with those 2 tubes removed, the lead channel sounds ridiculously f#$kn awesome. It has this grinding, fat, distortion that kills now. I'm so amazed I'm even writing this CSB thread. Damn this lead channel is the tits now, especially pushed with the Pork Loin.

Anyone thinking of doing this, just do it!

Oh yeah, and now I have 2 good spare EL-84's :thu:

• Members

I have 2 16 ohm V30's in my amp. I have two jacks to plug the speakers into the amp, one is 16 ohm and one is 8 ohm. Right now I have pulled out the 2 inner EL-84's and have the speakers plugged into the 16 ohm jack.

should I change it or keep it?

its fine right now but I DONT wanna f#$k it up

help me

• Members

I have 2 16 ohm V30's in my amp. I have two jacks to plug the speakers into the amp, one is 16 ohm and one is 8 ohm. Right now I have pulled out the 2 inner EL-84's and have the speakers plugged into the 16 ohm jack.

should I change it or keep it?

its fine right now but I DONT wanna f#$k it up

help me

bump. need help here pls

i dont wanna hurt my amp

Archived