Agile....who has experince with these?

trendkill1168

• Members

Man I have to say that I've been eyeing up the Agile Baritone Les Paul and am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. Who has first hand experience with these or just the regular 6-stringers in general? I realize they are on the cheap but if they play half-way decent I'll just swap out the electronics and maybe install some locking tuners.

• Members

i wish someone would see my sig and PM me before I buy a new EPI LP this week..............

My old man just picked up a gold top Epi today with P90's.....he's on his way right now so I can set it up. Have to see what this thing is all about. Not exactly my cup o tea but I'm sure it will be cool non-the-less.

• Members

I love my PS-900. My bro has a couple of AL-3100's. They're great guitars. They definitely requite a pup swap though. The bridge is ok though and it comes with 18-1 Grovers.

Cool man....I appreciate it, I'm just looking for good playability. I can {censored} with the hardware and electronics after the fact.

• Members

My old man just picked up a gold top Epi today with P90's.....he's on his way right now so I can set it up. Have to see what this thing is all about. Not exactly my cup o tea but I'm sure it will be cool non-the-less.

Im gonna get an EPI LP and rip out the PUPS immedietely. Im putting in Slash alnico SD humbuckers when i get it. id rather get one from a forumite but if no one PM's me, I'll have to go elsewhere.

• Members

Im gonna get an EPI LP and rip out the PUPS immedietely. Im putting in Slash alnico SD humbuckers when i get it. id rather get one from a forumite but if no one PM's me, I'll have to go elsewhere.

The Epi's are pretty good players. I've had a few. The Alnico's ought to sound pretty damn good in one. I'll post a pic of this gold top here in a few when he gets here.

• Members

Don't ever drop it.

My friend and I had both agile V's when they first came out. We had a guitar tree that we stored our guitars on at his house (practice space) and one day his damn cat decided to try and climb it. The cat knocked over that tree and the agile V had a wing break right off. I went from having a look-a-like King V to a look-a-like Rhoads.:cry: It was the only guitar that had been damaged luckily.

• Members

Basically back in the day they were simlar in quality to a $500 Epiphone Les Paul but they cost only $200 to $250. Most HC forum members swap out the pickups anyway so they were a great way to get the sound you wanted cheap. The only two negatives I can tell you is that the finish is kind of a thick and they're heavy because they aren't chambered. Some people might actually like the non-chambered feature as more "authentic".

The really cheap Agiles use a figured maple veneer over a solid mahogany bodywith a solid maple neck instead of a chambered mahogany body, thick maple cap and mahogany neck. I actually think the Agiles sound better (brighter and less muddy) from this. YMMV.

• Members

Basically back in the day they were simlar in quality to a $500 Epiphone Les Paul but they cost only $200 to $250. Most HC forum members swap out the pickups anyway so they were a great way to get the sound you wanted cheap. The only two negatives I can tell you is that the finish is kind of a thick and they're heavy because they aren't chambered. Some people might actually like the non-chambered feature as more "authentic".

The really cheap Agiles use a figured maple veneer over a solid mahogany bodywith a solid maple neck instead of a chambered mahogany body, thick maple cap and mahogany neck. I actually think the Agiles sound better (brighter and less muddy) from this. YMMV.

Better with the solid no maple cap maple neck config or better with the gibson style maple cap mahogany neck chambering?

• Members

Better with the solid no maple cap maple neck config or better with the gibson style maple cap mahogany neck chambering?

In my opinion, there are a couple of design flaws in the original Gibson Les Paul design:

For one thing, humbuckers can create a dark sound...especially the later designed ones from the late 60's and 70's that feature higher gain (more windings) and wax-potting. The original Les Pauls were developed for use with P-90's and wax potting wasn't done...so the original body design was developed for brighter pickups. Then "PAF" humbuckers showed up to reduce hum...but THEY were still sort of bright due to the lack of wax potting and lower output. Even then, it was decided that an all-mahogany guitar was kind of dark sounding, so a "maple cap" was added to the original LP body to brighten the sound.

Then later the lighter mahogany started becoming scarce so Les Paul addressed the problem by chambering their guitars, which drops the resonance further. With the pickup change from P-90's to humbuckers to overwound wax-potted humbuckers...and the body going to chambered design...you can see a problem mounting that Les Pauls were getting too muddy sounding. This isn't a problem as much for overdriven metal tones...but a lot of clarity gets lost playing clean or mildly overdriven.

Another design flaw that's well documented is the weak headstock neck joint.

It's a design problem because a glued-in neck can only have the truss rod surface at the headstock...and the headstock/neck angle gets a lot of pressure. The result is that Les Pauls break often at the neck. (feel free to deny this if you like...but it's pretty commonplace) This is especially true these days because mahogany is getting scarce...so that it's being used less often cut quartersawn...so it's less strong and more apt to break.

The answer to this design problem would be to use a stronger wood for the neck like maple...and to use a "scarf joint" there so that the wood is stronger at that location. One-piece mahogany is more expensive, so this kind of construction isn't as widely accepted..but it does make a stronger neck at that location. The maple neck also adds brightness to the sound. Probably more so than a maple cap does. Also the lack of chambering makes the guitar brighter. So basically Agile Les Paul copies retain a lot of brightness and strength at the headstock over Gibson Les Pauls.

Bottom line: Agiles are a bit brighter sounding than Gibson Les Pauls due to the maple neck and lack of chambering...which in my opinion is a good thing.

Les Pauls are dark sounding enough compared to single coil guitars like Fenders due to the humbuckers being there. Agiles are also a little tougher built. The downside is that they are heavier...but I have to say a lot of 70's Gibson Les Pauls are just as heavy due to lack of chambering, pancake design etc.

• Members

I have two older models (pre lawsuits you could say) and they both are great guitars. The Ghost (explorer) is one of my favorite axes and the LP is great for chords single note runs (not my favorite for faster stuff because the neck is huge compared to all of my guitars)

My LP-

agilelp.jpg

My Ghost

ghost.jpg

Archived