Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agile....who has experince with these?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are solid. The electronics are decent but 9/10 people end up at least swapping the pups.

They usually benefit from a good setup.

^This..

They are a STEAL for $225.00 on the AL2000 LP style guitars..

I swapped my bridge PU for a Crunch Lab.

Comment

Basically back in the day they were simlar in quality to a $500 Epiphone Les Paul but they cost only $200 to $250. Most HC forum members swap out the pickups anyway so they were a great way to get the sound you wanted cheap. The only two negatives I can tell you is that the finish is kind of a thick and they're heavy because they aren't chambered. Some people might actually like the non-chambered feature as more "authentic".
      The really cheap Agiles use a figured maple veneer over a solid mahogany bodywith a solid maple neck instead of a chambered mahogany body, thick maple cap and mahogany neck. I actually think the Agiles sound better (brighter and less muddy) from this. YMMV.

Better with the solid no maple cap maple neck config or better with the gibson style maple cap mahogany neck chambering?
      "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

i want this BAD

i was going through rondo last night and saw this. sooooo damn sexy.
        I have a few amps, several pedals, and a few guitars.

Originally Posted by Roger Daltry

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Comment

The Lp's are heavy as ****************. Mine is about 11 pounds.

My gear thread:
          http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1625196

www.myspace.com/zedthez
          www.myspace.com/pusserqchc
          www.myspace.com/distemperqchc
          www.myspace.com/rocketparkrip20042008
          webcast of ZED:
          http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2375190

Comment

I have an AL-3000 Slim Neck. Quality is astonishing at this price point. It's a great player and with it's alnico pickups it sounds pretty close to a genuine Les Paul to me. Heavy like the non-weight relieved Pauls too. 10 pounds.

Ibanez RGA121VLF Prestige
            Agile Valkyrie
            Agile AL-3000 "Les Paul"
            Ibanez XPT700BCM
            Jet City JCA22H
            Engl Screamer 50
            Marshall DSL50
            Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12

Comment

AGILE BEST GEET3R EVA BETA DEN GIBSUN

In all seriousness i dont like les pauls that much as far as playability goes due to me being spoiled by superstrats but i like how they sound if they where closer i would be tempted. I might be tempted anyway who knows
              Gear:
              Ibanez RG550DY, RG7621, RG520QS, S440
              Schecter C1 Elite
              Fender HM Strat

Peavey Ultra Plus
              Engl E212VH 2x12 horizontal cab with v30s
              Line 6 Toneport UX2

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?search=angusftw

Comment

Better with the solid no maple cap maple neck config or better with the gibson style maple cap mahogany neck chambering?

In my opinion, there are a couple of design flaws in the original Gibson Les Paul design:

For one thing, humbuckers can create a dark sound...especially the later designed ones from the late 60's and 70's that feature higher gain (more windings) and wax-potting. The original Les Pauls were developed for use with P-90's and wax potting wasn't done...so the original body design was developed for brighter pickups. Then "PAF" humbuckers showed up to reduce hum...but THEY were still sort of bright due to the lack of wax potting and lower output. Even then, it was decided that an all-mahogany guitar was kind of dark sounding, so a "maple cap" was added to the original LP body to brighten the sound.
                Then later the lighter mahogany started becoming scarce so Les Paul addressed the problem by chambering their guitars, which drops the resonance further. With the pickup change from P-90's to humbuckers to overwound wax-potted humbuckers...and the body going to chambered design...you can see a problem mounting that Les Pauls were getting too muddy sounding. This isn't a problem as much for overdriven metal tones...but a lot of clarity gets lost playing clean or mildly overdriven.

Another design flaw that's well documented is the weak headstock neck joint.
                It's a design problem because a glued-in neck can only have the truss rod surface at the headstock...and the headstock/neck angle gets a lot of pressure. The result is that Les Pauls break often at the neck. (feel free to deny this if you like...but it's pretty commonplace) This is especially true these days because mahogany is getting scarce...so that it's being used less often cut quartersawn...so it's less strong and more apt to break.
                The answer to this design problem would be to use a stronger wood for the neck like maple...and to use a "scarf joint" there so that the wood is stronger at that location. One-piece mahogany is more expensive, so this kind of construction isn't as widely accepted..but it does make a stronger neck at that location. The maple neck also adds brightness to the sound. Probably more so than a maple cap does. Also the lack of chambering makes the guitar brighter. So basically Agile Les Paul copies retain a lot of brightness and strength at the headstock over Gibson Les Pauls.

Bottom line: Agiles are a bit brighter sounding than Gibson Les Pauls due to the maple neck and lack of chambering...which in my opinion is a good thing.
                Les Pauls are dark sounding enough compared to single coil guitars like Fenders due to the humbuckers being there. Agiles are also a little tougher built. The downside is that they are heavier...but I have to say a lot of 70's Gibson Les Pauls are just as heavy due to lack of chambering, pancake design etc.
                "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

The Agile guitar forum...

www.agileguitarforum.com
                  Ibanez RGA121VLF Prestige
                  Agile Valkyrie
                  Agile AL-3000 "Les Paul"
                  Ibanez XPT700BCM
                  Jet City JCA22H
                  Engl Screamer 50
                  Marshall DSL50
                  Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12

Comment

I desparately want a 7. How are they compared to say schecter?
                    LIKE MY BAND :
                    http://facebook.com/execrationer

+Lots of good transactions+

Comment

I have two older models (pre lawsuits you could say) and they both are great guitars. The Ghost (explorer) is one of my favorite axes and the LP is great for chords single note runs (not my favorite for faster stuff because the neck is huge compared to all of my guitars)

My LP-

My Ghost
                      Facebook SoundCloudGood Deals with; STEELKAGE, LenDuffy, Yo_Squig, theemarkmiller and others I've forgottenSPAMDimarzio Paf Pro red- 30$ Shipped(one thread is worn)Ampeg VH140C

Comment

In my opinion, there are a couple of design flaws in the original Gibson Les Paul design:

For one thing, humbuckers can create a dark sound...especially the later designed ones from the late 60's and 70's that feature higher gain (more windings) and wax-potting. The original Les Pauls were developed for use with P-90's and wax potting wasn't done...so the original body design was developed for brighter pickups. Then "PAF" humbuckers showed up to reduce hum...but THEY were still sort of bright due to the lack of wax potting and lower output. Even then, it was decided that an all-mahogany guitar was kind of dark sounding, so a "maple cap" was added to the original LP body to brighten the sound.
                        Then later the lighter mahogany started becoming scarce so Les Paul addressed the problem by chambering their guitars, which drops the resonance further. With the pickup change from P-90's to humbuckers to overwound wax-potted humbuckers...and the body going to chambered design...you can see a problem mounting that Les Pauls were getting too muddy sounding. This isn't a problem as much for overdriven metal tones...but a lot of clarity gets lost playing clean or mildly overdriven.

Another design flaw that's well documented is the weak headstock neck joint.
                        It's a design problem because a glued-in neck can only have the truss rod surface at the headstock...and the headstock/neck angle gets a lot of pressure. The result is that Les Pauls break often at the neck. (feel free to deny this if you like...but it's pretty commonplace) This is especially true these days because mahogany is getting scarce...so that it's being used less often cut quartersawn...so it's less strong and more apt to break.
                        The answer to this design problem would be to use a stronger wood for the neck like maple...and to use a "scarf joint" there so that the wood is stronger at that location. One-piece mahogany is more expensive, so this kind of construction isn't as widely accepted..but it does make a stronger neck at that location. The maple neck also adds brightness to the sound. Probably more so than a maple cap does. Also the lack of chambering makes the guitar brighter. So basically Agile Les Paul copies retain a lot of brightness and strength at the headstock over Gibson Les Pauls.

Bottom line: Agiles are a bit brighter sounding than Gibson Les Pauls due to the maple neck and lack of chambering...which in my opinion is a good thing.
                        Les Pauls are dark sounding enough compared to single coil guitars like Fenders due to the humbuckers being there. Agiles are also a little tougher built. The downside is that they are heavier...but I have to say a lot of 70's Gibson Les Pauls are just as heavy due to lack of chambering, pancake design etc.

There was probably even more wrong with this post than just the bolded part, but that statement, at the very, least is wrong.

Gibson started weight relieving in the 80s I believe (swiss cheese holes.) They didn't start chambering until 2006.

Chambering also doesn't reduce resonance. It actually is designed to increase it. I feel it actually does too based on my experiences. I have an 87 LP Custom that sounds great, but my chambered '06 Standard sounds even better. It is the most resonant guitar I own.

Also, there is a build thread where a dude is building an LP to '59 specs and he talks about how wood ages and the natural chanels expand and contract over time and create natural chambering and that is why older LPs sound so good. The older, lighter woods are also ligheter because they have more natural chambering. He was talking about how he was going to build a '59 spec, with the addition of chambering.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/194271-1959-les-paul-build.html
                        GoodDeals: RG_76, DiscoJason, freehandarson, rockitsauce, Wolfbane20

Band:
                        Absolute Vengeance on Facebook
                        Absolute Vengeance - bandcamp

Comment

Working...
                        X