EV 200W vs. Eminence Delta Pro

Matt Howell

• Members

Pretty similar in my experience. I know some die-hard EVM fans will say otherwise but to my ears they're VERY close.

That is me. I have 2 Mills cabs, 2 Hermida 2x12, 2 Mesa Thiele, and 2 Hermida 1x12, all loaded with EVs. I have never played the Delta, but have heard good things. I bet shipping will be a bitch with those...

• Members

i don't think the EVMs and the dp12as sound anything alike personally. top end on an EVM is WAY courser and brighter-- the dp12 is pretty mellow and stately more like a greenback to my ears, and kinda reads as dark.

i've had both in the same cab, and i very much prefer the midrange and top end of the dp12 in a ported cab. all boils down to application though-- i'm not a lead type of player, and i certainly don't push a {censored} ton of gain either.

• Members

The usual consensus these threads come to is that the Eminences are maybe a bit smoother, where there's maybe a big more brightness and presence detail out of the EVM. I only know from the EVM-12L, but there's a subtle bit of the bright/presence thing there. Overall, it just sounds big all over.

A 412 of these is crazy. If I saw a stupid good deal on an old Boogie cab, yeah, I'd try to figure how to get one in the house and plant it permanently in place, but it still doesn't make it anything but insane. TL-806 or Boogie Thiele cabs are made for these guys -- sound bigger than any other 112 you've heard and so much easier to gig than a 412.

(Oh, and my EVM TL-806 makes unmodded dinky little imported Champ derivatives sound like serious amps, really good stuff. Forget the Mercury Magnetics transformers, this is a better upgrade if you're going that way, and it'll upgrade any other amps you have around.)

• Members

i don't think the EVMs and the dp12as sound anything alike personally. top end on an EVM is WAY courser and brighter-- the dp12 is pretty mellow and stately more like a greenback to my ears, and kinda reads as dark.

i've had both in the same cab, and i very much prefer the midrange and top end of the dp12 in a ported cab. all boils down to application though-- i'm not a lead type of player, and i certainly don't push a {censored} ton of gain either.

You play a Caliber/Studio Mesa amp, don`t you?

• Members

The usual consensus these threads come to is that the Eminences are maybe a bit smoother, where there's maybe a big more brightness and presence detail out of the EVM. I only know from the EVM-12L, but there's a subtle bit of the bright/presence thing there. Overall, it just sounds big all over.

A 412 of these is crazy. If I saw a stupid good deal on an old Boogie cab, yeah, I'd try to figure how to get one in the house and plant it permanently in place, but it still doesn't make it anything but insane. TL-806 or Boogie Thiele cabs are made for these guys -- sound bigger than any other 112 you've heard and so much easier to gig than a 412.

(Oh, and my EVM TL-806 makes unmodded dinky little imported Champ derivatives sound like serious amps, really good stuff. Forget the Mercury Magnetics transformers, this is a better upgrade if you're going that way, and it'll upgrade any other amps you have around.)

I own 2 Boogie and 2 Hermida ported 1x12 Thiele Based cabs. For bigger venues I need 4x12 cabs...I have been schlepping these things around for awhile...

• Members

I own 2 Boogie and 2 Hermida ported 1x12 Thiele Based cabs. For bigger venues I need 4x12 cabs...I have been schlepping these things around for awhile...

Yeah, but are you needing 412's loaded with EVs? The legends of Townsend's 812 cabs and the roadie revolt would come back to life when the crew meets a 412 of EVs. Casters help, but sometimes you gotta lift those buggers.

(If you do need a 412 of EVs though, that must be some venue and it must sound like god.)

• Members

Yeah, but are you needing 412's loaded with EVs? The legends of Townsend's 812 cabs and the roadie revolt would come back to life when the crew meets a 412 of EVs. Casters help, but sometimes you gotta lift those buggers.

(If you do need a 412 of EVs though, that must be some venue and it must sound like god.)

I have 2 Mills 4x12 cabs loaded with EVs I have used for a couple years.....I use both in stereo for 500-1000 sized venues.

Archived