Non-boosters: What amps are you using?

Rydock

• Members

Great posts guys. I've been a big booster for a really long time now, but today I did some major tweaking with my Mark IV. For some reason, I'm afraid to turn my gain too high, so I tend to keep it at a comfortable amount, and boost over the top with an OD with my amp set to triode. Earlier today, I tried leaving the boost off, and turned the gain and drive up a bit, and set it into pentode. My tone had a really good amount of tightness, and being a Mark IV, had plenty of midrange all on its own. I don't know what to think now, the school of thought of how I approach my tone has been shattered. For hard rock, anyhow. For drop tuned metal, I'd probably still use my boost.

• Members

Orange Rockerverb 50.

I guess I'd say I go for a medium-high gain sound most of the time which doesn't kill the articulation in complex chords and also that isn't so bassy that it competes with a bass guitar because everything has to stand out when you're doing counterpoint. Unfortunately I haven't really even been in a band since I got the damn thing so I don't really know how well that all actually works out in reality. :facepalm:

Archived