Cabs + ohms question

Robson780

• Members

If you run a 100 watt head into one 4x12 and one 2x12 at the same time, both loaded with V30s, both @ 16 ohms, the 2x12 will be getting the exact same amount of power fed to it as the 4x12, right?

If so, is there much sense in running a setup like this? Because the 2x12 would be pretty close to being ripped to shreds at 120 watts power handling I would think..

• Members

If you run a 100 watt head into one 4x12 and one 2x12 at the same time, both loaded with V30s, both @ 16 ohms, the 2x12 will be getting the exact same amount of power fed to it as the 4x12, right?

If so, is there much sense in running a setup like this? Because the 2x12 would be pretty close to being ripped to shreds at 120 watts power handling I would think..

No, the amp will see an 8ohm load (assuming the speaker outputs are parallel) and the power will spread by the total number speakers connected to it.

As long as the outs are parallel and the amp has an 8ohm tap there is absolutely no risk of damaging anything.

• Members

Each cab would get the same amount of output, meaning 4x12s would be getting 50 watts and 2x12s would be getting 50 watts. (based on 100 watts being delivered)

• Members

Each cab would get the same amount of output, meaning 4x12s would be getting 50 watts and 2x12s would be getting 50 watts. (based on 100 watts being delivered)

This answers my question.

So each cab would be getting 50 watts, not 100?

I would've thought the amp still puts out 100 watts to each cab, no?

• Members

This answers my question.

So each cab would be getting 50 watts, not 100?

I would've thought the amp still puts out 100 watts to each cab, no?

No. It's 100 Watts total. Since each cabinet has the same impedance, each cabinet receives an equal share of the power.

Look up Kirchoff's law, combine with Ohm's law, and you have the answer.

Archived